OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Research Engineer
DIVISION: Academic & Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: College of Engineering
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Grade 16 (GRANT – FUNDED POSITION)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Highway Sustainability Research Center
SUPERVISES: Graduate and undergraduate students
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Support the funded research activities of the Highway Sustainability Research Center (HSRC). Assist the HSRC Director in completing research projects per the relevant proposals/contracts. HSRC research is involved with the design, testing, and performance evaluation of asphalt paving mixtures and its constituent
materials (aggregate, asphalt binder, and additives).
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Testing of aggregates for source and consensus properties
• Testing and evaluation of asphalt binder properties for conformance to Superpave specifications using the viscometer, dynamic shear rheometer, rolling thin film oven, pressure aging vessel, and the ductility device.
• Development/validation of asphalt mixture designs in accordance with Superpave, Marshall or other relevant design specification as needed. Includes use and operation of Superpave Gyratory Compactors and Marshall Hammer.
• Performance testing, evaluation and subsequent data analysis using: flexural beam fatigue test, asphalt mixture performance tester, overlay tester, disk-shaped compact tension test, semi-circular bend test, thermal stress restrained specimen test, Hamburg wheel tracking device, model mobile load simulator, asphalt pavement analyzer, asphalt foamer, asphalt workability device, and servo-hydraulic universal testing machines.
• Setup and operate new testing devices as they are obtained for new research projects.
• Authoring of project technical reports, journal submissions and presentation related to HSRC funded research
• Assist the HSRC Director with the following:
• Securing new external funding sources for HSRC through proposal development
• Management of HSRC equipment and resources
• Supervision and training of undergraduate/graduate students working on HSRC funded research projects
• Assist with proposal preparation.
• Administer presentations regarding HSRC research at technical conferences.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. in civil engineering with specialization in pavement engineering.
EXPERIENCE: Significant experience (over seven years) in the design, testing, and performance evaluation of asphalt paving mixtures and its constituent materials (aggregate, asphalt binder, and additives). Experience with AASHTO PMED and Balanced Mix Design
OTHER: Experience with asphalt mixture design by Superpave and Marshall methods, proficient in asphalt binder grading per the Performance Grading system, experience with utilization of additives (WMA, anti-strip, rubber, etc.) in asphalt binder and mixtures, and extensive experience in asphalt performance evaluation in terms of cracking, moisture damage, rutting, and workability. Experience with the setup, operation and management of an annual inertial profiler certification program including data analysis and certification determinations. Some travel might be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Computer graphics and word-processing
• Pavement material analysis and design software: RHEA and AASHTOWare Pavement ME Design
• Technical writing skills
• Presentation creation and dissemination
• Data evaluation, analysis and interpretation
• Ability to operate, maintain and repair aggregate, asphalt binder and asphalt mixture testing equipment
• Experience with setup and operation of standalone data acquisition systems including software (DASYLab) capture for accelerated pavement testing machines (model mobile load simulator)
• Ability to work independently without supervision
• Ability to work off peak hours during testing operations as required for specific projects
• Willingness and ability to travel throughout New England to conduct testing as required
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays.
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time.
Benefits for ESU Union: ESU
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is 02/13/2024.
The review of applications will begin 02/14/2024 and will be ongoing.