OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Regional Admissions Counselor
DIVISION: Enrollment Management
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, 12
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT EEO
JOB CODE: 2000
REPORTS TO: Director of Admissions
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Regional Admissions Counselor is responsible for presenting the University to guidance counselors, prospective students, and families in a variety of settings utilizing recruitment and communications techniques that most effectively engage contemporary college-bound students. It is expected that the Regional Admissions Counselor will travel during the fall and spring semesters to visit high schools and community colleges, attend college fairs, and host off-campus recruitment programs sponsored by UMass Dartmouth. Extensive pre-travel communication and follow-up with all prospective students requires a thorough understanding of and fluency in modern communication techniques, including the use of social networking sites, blogging, web-based video presentation, broadcast text messaging, and a range of web-based marketing techniques. Having the ability to relate in a positive and compelling manner with college-bound students by using media and communication techniques that resonate with the University’s largely traditionally-aged high school student market share is essential to success in this role.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manages territory(s) as assigned by the Director and develops recruitment strategies in an effort to meet the institution’s recruitment goals
• Works independently, takes initiative, and serves as a goal-oriented staff member
• Utilizes social networking, technologically based recruitment techniques, and other web-oriented modes of engaging prospective students in ongoing dialog about the UMass Dartmouth student experience
• Conducts group information sessions and interviews for students visiting the campus
• Assists in the implementation of on- and off-campus programs designed for recruitment and yield enhancement
• Counsels and corresponds with prospective students and their families using a range of traditional and contemporary communication tools
• Represents the University at college fairs, college nights, open houses, and other recruiting programs
• Develops working relationships with representatives of high schools, community colleges, and other education institutions to facilitate enrollment at UMass Dartmouth
• Work and develop community college relationships, promote transfer recruitment pathways, and overall recruitment of new transfer students
• Review applications for admissions in their entirety. Recalculate GPA in support of the Department of Higher Education’s guidelines. Review curriculum to determine academic preparation and background. Evaluate applications and make admissions decisions, including the use of professional judgment to request additional information or follow up with the applicant or school counselor for clarification or additional materials if needed
• Performs other related duties as assigned
Demonstrated (over 3 years) experience working and communicating with prospective students in various guidance, admissions, and/or recruitment aspects. Utilization of contemporary web-based marketing techniques.
Expected to live in the assigned territory/region
The position requires extensive travel throughout the assigned region. Evening and weekend hours are required to successfully perform the duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Strong understanding of the undergraduate student academic and social cultures
• Ability to work independently, as a highly energetic individual
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, writing, and public speaking skills
• Demonstrated record of proficiency in the use of contemporary technological marketing applications including social networking media
• Ability to understand and communicate university policies and procedures
• Previous guidance counselor experience
• Previous sales or marketing experience
• Previous experience in an institution of education
• Knowledge of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Salary: $52,756 - $60,000
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays.
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time.
Benefits for ESU Union: ESU
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is 2/2/2024.
The review of applications will begin 2/5/2024 and will be ongoing.