GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Maintenance Specialist will lead and participate in the maintenance and repair of buildings and building appurtenances; perform related work as required. Acts as a specialist in the area of particular expertise as part of a team of specialists responsible for the overall building.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
SUPERVISION RECIEVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction):
Receives direct supervision from an administrative employee or a higher-grade employee who reviews performance for efficiency and conformance with instructions.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF:
Exercises functional supervision over lower-grade employees in the maintenance and repair of buildings and special installation projects.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May assist in planning and laying out the work of carpenters, plumbers, painters, masons, locksmiths, refrigeration mechanics, and electricians as necessary for the upkeep, maintenance, and repair of buildings according to specialty; will perform carpentry duties and assist licensed trades under the direction of a licensed trade individual where applicable
- Identifies and reports any substandard or inadequate work to appropriate supervisor/manager
- Under the direction of a licensed individual, maintains heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, domestic water systems, drains, lighting, and electrical systems in buildings according to specialty
- Maintains the temperature control system
- Under the direction of a licensed trade individual where applicable, installs, maintains, and repairs machinery such as computer systems, pumps, electrical motors, valves kitchen equipment, and generators
- Repairs and replaces locks and doors
- Installs glass in windows and doors, makes routine repairs to floors, assists in erecting old dismantling of scaffolding and/or rigging used to gain access to high places
- Takes and records meter readings of pressure, water levels, oil levels, temperatures, and consumption of utilities
- Inspects buildings to detect and locate the cause of equipment breakdowns to determine, recommend, or execute corrective measures
- Procures materials under the direction of the Carpenter II or administrative supervisor, recommends new or replacement equipment and recommends reconditioning of present equipment
- Maintains maintenance and repair records, manuals, and inventory of tools, parts and supplies for specialty
- This position will not preclude work in the janitorial or grounds maintenance areas; all duties within the trade worker group may be performed by someone within this specialist position
- Maintains buildings and related structures, applying carpentry techniques and using carpentry tools to construct, alter, repair, and/or install including, but not limited to: walls, stairs, floors, ceilings, windows, doors, roofs, gutters, locks air conditioners, mail slots, handicapped chair rails, and ramps and shelving
- Inspects buildings needing carpentry repair or alterations, estimates job duration and the cost and/or quantities of labor and materials needed to complete the job, and reports results of inspection to those who have reported unsafe conditions or who have requested alteration work
- Interprets and/or draws up sketches, patterns, instructions, and/or layouts of work to be performed
- Performs structural repair, alteration, or improvement work, such as lowering ceilings and paneling rooms; preparing surfaces for plaster or cement work; studding, wiring, and plastering walls and cracks in floors or around windows; taping joints on sheetrock; and pre-cementing and/or replacing Formica tops
- Performs related work such as framing pictures; making window and door screens; drilling holes in signs; ordering materials and supplies and cleaning; and sharpening and tempering various tools and equipment
- Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned and/or the job description changed periodically to reflect changing organization needs
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Working knowledge of the methods, practices, and techniques of building and building appurtenance maintenance and repair and related crafts including the use and operation of tools and equipment
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Performs physically arduous tasks under adverse conditions and extremes of heat, cold, dampness, and humidity; must stand and work for prolonged periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects and work in cramped or confined spaces at various heights, such as manholes and on staging and ladders
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Knowledge of Auxiliary Service operations
- Knowledge and understanding of existing building systems
- Working among students
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Licensing requirements specified in number 10 below.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Certified in one of the following Commonwealth of Massachusetts licenses or certifications or show extensive training and experience when certification and licensure are not available: Construction Supervisors License (CSL).
Must possess a current and valid motor vehicle driver’s license and be eligible to operate a vehicle in the state of Massachusetts.
Department: Housing Maintenance
No. of Positions- 1
Salary Range: Step 1 $45,251.70- Step 14 $63,078.86
Internal Candidates: Salary will be based on provisions in the AFT Maintainers Union contract.
External Candidates: This is a recruitable position. As a result, the annual salary will be commensurate with years of experience to a maximum of step 10 which is currently $58,275.62.
Hours: Monday-Friday; 6:00am-2:00pm
Union: AFT Maintainers
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
Benefits for AFT Maintainers Union-AFT Maintainers
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is May 31, 2023.
The review of applications will begin June 1, 2023 and will be ongoing.