Maintenance Specialist - Plumber
Job no: 518716
Work type: Staff Full Time
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Maintenance Specialist will supervise and participate in the maintenance and repair of buildings and building appurtenances; perform related work as required. Acts as principal specialist in the area of particular expertise as part of a team of specialists responsible for the overall building. The area of expertise required for this position is plumbing including install, repair, maintain and/or alter steam, sanitary fixtures, heating units, water supply, sprinkler systems, steam tables, industrial cafeteria equipment, drainage, disposal systems, etc.; and perform related work as required. Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction):
Receives direct supervision from an administrative employee of higher grade who reviews performance for efficiency and conformance with instructions.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF:
Exercises supervision over lower grade employees, equal grade employees working in their specialty, or contracted workers in the maintenance and repair of buildings and special installation projects.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans and lays out the work of, plumbers, as necessary for the upkeep, maintenance and repair of buildings according to specialty
- Installs, repairs, maintains, and/or alters steam and plumbing systems by: cleaning sewer drains; operating power tools, welding equipment, sewer cleaning machines, hand tools, and plumbing equipment; laying out, cutting and fitting materials for welding; packing joints, valves, and pumps; cutting and threading pipes; caulking and packing lead joints, valves and pumps; replacing seals in water closets; cleaning filters; unplugging sinks, toilets, and drains; and insulating heat tracing wires and/or piping to ensure that equipment is in proper working order to meet agency needs
- Maintains locks, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, domestic water systems, drains, lighting and electrical systems in buildings according to specialty
- Maintains the temperature control system
- Installs, maintains and repairs machinery such as computer systems, pumps, electrical motors, valves, kitchen equipment and generators
- Repairs and replaces locks, doors
- Works on a variety of mechanical, electrical and steam equipment.
- Installs glass in windows and doors, makes routine repairs to floors, assists in erecting old dismantling of scaffolding and/or rigging used to gain access to high places
- Takes and records meter readings of pressure, water levels, oil levels, temperatures and consumption of utilities
- Inspects buildings to detect and locate causes of breakdowns of equipment to determine, recommend or execute corrective measures
- Procures materials under direction of administrative supervisor, recommends new or replacement equipment, and recommends reconditioning of present equipment
- Maintains maintenance and repair records, manuals and inventory of tools, parts and supplies for specialty
- This position will not preclude work in the janitorial or grounds maintenance areas. All duties within the trade worker group may be performed by someone within this specialist position
- Employees shall be called and asked to report to work on a rotational as needed basis for emergency coverage on nights, weekends, and holidays
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, and abilities)
- Working knowledge of the methods, practices and techniques of building and building appurtenance maintenance and repair and related crafts including the use and operation of tools and equipment
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small handheld tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small measurement devices such as calipers, levels, rulers, steel squares, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of handheld power tools such as power saws, power drills and power hammers, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials used in plumbing such as steel; malleable, cast and galvanized iron; clay; glass; etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand tools used in plumbing such as wrenches, hammers, pliers, taps, dies, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment used in plumbing such as blowtorches, soldering equipment, gauges, etc.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in plumbing
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of plumbing
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of steam fitting
- Knowledge of sanitation methods, techniques and procedures followed in plumbing
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of pipefitting
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of pipe threading
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing plumbing
- Skill in using small hand tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
- Skill in using small measurement devices such as calipers, levels, rulers, steel squares, gauges, etc.
- Skill in using handheld power tools such as saws, drills, power hammers, etc.
- Skill in the use of hand tools used in plumbing such as wrenches, hammers, pliers, taps, dies, etc.
- Skill in the use of equipment used in plumbing such as blowtorches, soldering equipment, gauges, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans, blueprints, and drawings
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects
- Ability to work in cramped or confined spaces
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules and regulations governing plumbing
- Ability to give oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner. Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Physical stamina and endurance
- Performs physically arduous tasks under adverse conditions and extremes of heat, cold, dampness and humidity; must stand and work for prolonged periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects and work in cramped or confined spaces at various heights such as manholes and on staging and ladders
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Knowledge of Auxiliary Service operations
- Knowledge and understanding of existing building systems
- Working among students
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing assigned unit activities
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities
- Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least one year of full-time, (or equivalent part-time), experience in plumbing and steam fitting, and licensing requirements specified in License and/or Certification Requirements below.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Journeyman or Master Plumber’s license issued by the Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters
- Must possess a current and valid motor vehicle driver’s license and be eligible to operate a vehicle in the state of Massachusetts
The area of expertise required for this position is plumbing.
Department: Plumbing Shop
No. of Positions-1
Hours: Monday-Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Salary Range: Step 1: $47,538.92-Step 14 $66,808.04
Internal candidates: Salary will be based on provisions in the AFT Maintainers contract.
External candidates: This is a recruitable position. As such, salary will be commensurate with years of experience to a maximum of step 10 which is currently $61,720.36.
Benefits: Benefits for AFT-Maintainers
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is May 9, 2023.
The review of applications will begin May 10, 2023 and will be ongoing.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend