OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Admissions Counselor
DIVISION: Enrollment Management
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, 12
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
Salary for ESU: Salary ESU
EEO STATUS: 32
JOB CODE: 2000
REPORTS TO: Director of Admissions
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Admissions Counselor is responsible for promoting the University to prospective students, families and guidance counselors in a variety of settings utilizing recruitment and communications techniques that most effectively engage contemporary college-bound students. It is expected that the Admissions Counselor will travel extensively during the fall and spring semester to visit high schools, community colleges, attend college fairs, and host off-campus recruitment programs sponsored by UMass Dartmouth. Extensive pre-travel communication and follow-up with all prospective students requires a thorough understanding of and fluency in modern communication techniques including use of social networking sites; blogging; web-based video presentation; broadcast text messaging and a range of web-based marketing techniques. The Counselor is expected to conduct on-campus recruitment activities, participate in major campus visit programs and other Programs sponsored by Admissions/Enrollment Management. Having the ability to relate in a positive and compelling manner with college bound students by using media and communication techniques that resonate with the University’s largely traditionally aged high school student market share is essential to success in this role.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Travels extensively as assigned by the Director in the effort to meet the institution’s recruitment goals
- Utilizes social networking, technologically based recruitment techniques and other web-oriented modes of engaging prospective students in ongoing dialog about the UMass Dartmouth student experience
- Conducts group information sessions and interviews for students visiting the campus
- Assists in the implementation of on- and off-campus programs designed for recruitment and yield enhancement
- Counsels and corresponds with prospective students and their families using a range of traditional and contemporary communication tools
- Represents the University at college fairs, college nights, open houses and other recruiting programs
- Cultivates and develops working relationships with representatives of high schools, community colleges and other education institutions to facilitate enrollment at UMass Dartmouth
- Assist with the review and analyzing of multiyear demographic and enrollment trend reports to plan and implement targeted recruitment activities in a defined geographic region. Plan, coordinate and debrief to assess the success of recruitment and outreach efforts within the assigned area
- Participates in Programs sponsored by Admissions and Enrollment Management
- Serve as project lead on special assignments related to Admissions operations
- Assists in the oversight of recruitment activities that provide outreach to prospective students (i.e. tour guide program, multicultural recruitment, other related programs, etc.)
- Reviews applications for admissions in their entirety. Recalculate GPA in support of the Department of Higher Education’s guidelines. Review curriculum to determine academic preparation and background. Evaluate applications and make admissions decisions, including use of professional judgement to request additional information or follow up with the applicant or school counselor for clarification or additional materials if needed
- Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
EXPERIENCE: Previous (over 1 years) experience working and communicating with prospective students in various guidance, admissions and/or recruitment aspects. Utilization of contemporary web-based marketing techniques.
OTHER: The position requires extensive travel throughout the assigned region. Evening and weekend hours are required to successfully perform the duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong understanding of the undergraduate student academic and social cultures
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, writing, and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated record of proficiency in the use of contemporary technological marketing applications including social networking media
- Ability to understand and communicate university policies and procedures
- Previous guidance counselor experience
- Previous sales or marketing experience
- Previous experience in an institution of education
- Knowledge of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
Benefits for ESU Union: ESU
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is May 2, 2023.
The review of applications will begin May 3, 2023 and will be ongoing.