Assistant Teaching Professor-Human Resources Management
Charlton College of Business
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Work type: Faculty Full Time
The Charlton College of Business at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth seeks an Assistant Teaching Professor in Human Resources Management (HRM) to teach three sections per semester of HRM undergraduate courses, support the academic development of the HRM program and actively develop its industry relations while engaging in service activities. The appointment will be effective September 1st, 2023.
The Charlton College of Business is an AACSB-accredited school with 7 undergraduate degree programs, a fast-growing MBA program, and a number of specialized Master's degree programs that are offered in traditional face-to-face, blended, and fully online formats. Located on the South Coast of Massachusetts, Dartmouth is near some of the most beautiful coastlines in the United States. Dartmouth is also conveniently located near Cape Cod, Providence, Newport, and Boston. New York is a three-hour train ride away.
General Summary of Position. The Assistant Teaching Professor in Human Resources Management will bring expertise in strategic Human Resources management as well as one or more of the following: staffing, recruiting, and performance management; training and development; and/or employee and labor relations. In addition to documented success teaching at the college level, our ideal candidate will have the qualifications necessary to build the HRM program through activities such as academic advising, advising of student clubs and/or chapters of a professional association, career counseling, collaboration with the business community, student recruitment/retention, and curriculum development. Specifically, the ideal candidate should be certified by the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) or have proven familiarity with SHRM standards.
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal and encourage you to apply and to identify your strengths in this area.
- Master’s degree or higher with an emphasis in the subject area, if the Master’s is outside of business then the candidate must have extensive work experience in Human Resources at a managerial level or higher
- Teaching experience at the graduate and/or undergraduate levels that reflects a commitment to quality instruction
- Relevant professional experience of substantial duration (minimum 5 years) and responsibility
- Ongoing professional/industry activity that is sufficient to sustain currency and Instructional Practitioner (IP) status under AACSB standards
- Expressed interest in supporting extra-curricular activities
- Expressed interest in performing duties as an academic advisor
- Expressed interest in engaging the business community through activities such as class projects, career development exercises, or club/special events.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Experience working with diverse groups
- Experience teaching online
- Experience or interest in recruitment and retention initiatives
- Experience in academic advising, career advising, or club advising
To apply please submit through the Human Resources portal a cover letter that should include: reasons for interest in the position; professional background; teaching interests, experience, and philosophy; evidence of teaching effectiveness: (e.g., student course evaluations, Chair reviews, teaching awards, student testimonials, etc.); and the names and contact information for three references. References should include title, employing organization, mailing, and e-mail addresses.
Confidential references may be sent to Delores Almeida, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can only be reviewed if submitted through the Human Resources portal.
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
Benefits for Faculty Federation Union-Faculty Federation
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.