Temporary Hire: Tutor Mentor - GRANT-FUNDED
Job no: 518030
Work type: Staff Full Time, Hourly
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Tutor Mentor- GRANT-FUNDED
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
NO. OF POSITIONS: 1
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS/SALARY: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $17.50/hour plus free room and board
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Program Coordinator, Residential Supervisor, and Assistant Residential Supervisor
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To provide tutoring; serve as classroom instructional aid; and supervise a residential suite of students.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tutor students individually and in groups in a variety of subjects
- Teach study skills that assist students in preparation for postsecondary education
- Provide and maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning and retaining material studied
- Proactively organize programming to meet student’s emotional, social, behavioral, and developmental needs
- Monitor and participate in daily meals
- Provide supervision and assistance to students in library, lab, and study halls
- Assist students in developing and employing effective study techniques
- Monitor student progress with assignments
- Supervise study hours
- Supervise a residential suite of students
- Assist in chaperoning all field trips, cultural and recreational activities
- Monitor student compliance with Program rules and regulations
- Assist residential staff in residential activities
- Other program related duties, as assigned
- On call for student needs during residential stay and rotating student supervision night shifts
- Remain highly visible to students and staff throughout the course of each day
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The Upward Bound Tutor Mentor must be a sophomore or higher in college and must demonstrate a mastery of the subject area which he or she is designated to tutor. The Tutor Mentor must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or above. It is required that he/she exhibits sensitivity toward Upward Bound participants. It is preferred that Tutor Mentors have experience in peer tutoring, mentoring, and demonstrate a potential for leadership.
EDUCATION: College student, sophomore or higher, GPA 2.7 or higher.
OTHER: Ability to relate to students of diverse ethnic backgrounds This is a live-in position for 7 weeks starting June 20, 2023 – August 4, 2023. Key component is tutoring in English/Math/Science & mentoring.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience living or working in a dormitory
- Ability to relate to students of diverse ethnic backgrounds
- Familiarity with disadvantaged student populations
- Ability to provide a strong positive role model for students
- Ability to promote academic excellence
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend