If you are looking for an exciting career and great benefits, look no further!
UMass Dartmouth is the place for you!
Official Job Title: Assistant/Associate Librarian or Librarian
Working Job Title: Archivist
Division: Academic Affairs
Department: Claire T. Carney Library
Bargaining Unit Status: AFT Faculty Federation
Job Code: N/A
EEO Status: N/A
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary and Purpose of Position:
As a member of the Claire T. Carney Library team, the Archivist has primary responsibility for the Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese American Archives and the Luso-Afro-Brazilian Archives Collections. The Archivist will work closely with the University Archivist, the Faculty Director of the Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese American Archives, the local community, and the broader Portuguese American community in the United States to acquire and organize primary source materials and to promote the Archives. S/he will develop the oral history collections and participate in other activities, such as grant writing and fundraising, for the Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese-American Archives and Luso-Afro-Brazilian Archives Collections. S/he will be responsible for collection development in these areas, and will provide reference, processing, cataloging, and outreach service for all collections in Archives and Special Collections.
Reports to: University Archivist, Archives and Special Collections
Supervises: Supervises work of classified and student personnel as assigned
Examples of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop collection holdings and oral history projects for the assigned areas: the Ferreira Mendes Portuguese American Archives and the Luso-Afro-Brazilian Archives Collections in collaboration with faculty and community representatives.
- Evaluate and accession new materials.
- Organize archival materials according to professional and local standards.
- Provide access to archival materials using traditional methods as well as emerging technologies.
- Investigate and evaluate application of new methods and technology in collaboration with the University Archivist.
- Provide reference service for the Archives and Special Collections.
- Participate in fundraising and write grant proposals to support projects.
- Prepare, mount, and publicize exhibits related to the assigned areas, both in person and online.
- Develop and maintain web content. Plan and implement virtual displays, online access and other digital services related to the assigned areas.
- Provide tours, training, and orientations.
- Participate in Library planning and serve on Library and University committees.
- Represent the Library and Archives at meetings to learn, share information, and collaborate on activities as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Master's Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
Experience: 2-4 years professional experience working as an archivist.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities Required:
- Graduate-level course concentration in archives management
- Ability to speak, read, understand, and communicate in the Portuguese language
- Knowledge of digital and online techniques and services applicable to archives
- Knowledge of Portuguese history, literature, and culture
- Ability to work effectively in a collegial setting
- Demonstrated ability to write effective reports or proposals
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of the application of new technologies and services to academic libraries
- Highly service-oriented
- Knowledge of preservation issues
- Knowledge of community documentation issues
- Experience in applying methods of archival arrangement and description
- Experience with ArchivesSpace
- Experience with Ex Libris” Alma library discovery system
- Experience with digital repository content management systems
- Familiarity with creating MARC records
- Knowledge of the application of intellectual property statements
- Knowledge of the history of immigration
- Experience conducting oral histories or managing oral history resources.
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
- 75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- State Pension Retirement Plan
- Optional Retirement Savings Plans
- Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
- And More!
*For a detailed summary of benefits for this position, please navigate Benefits
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will be ongoing.