OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Advancement Communications Specialist
DIVISION: University Advancement
DEPARTMENT: Constituent Engagement and Annual Giving
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU 12
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 33
JOB CODE: 2840
REPORTS TO: Advancement Communications Director
MINIMUM SALARY:ESU SALARY RANGES
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Advancement Communications Specialist is responsible for developing content for internal and external communications across print and digital media that support the strategic goals of the Constituent Engagement and Annual Giving department and University Advancement. Works independently and with the Constituent Engagement and Annual Giving team and other colleagues across campus to research, write, edit, and review material/documents to be used in a variety of media. Provides proofreading and editing support for Advancement staff as needed. The position is a combination of strategy and hands-on tactics, technical aptitude, and an understanding of the written word, with a primary focus on developing content and communications that Constituent Engagement and Annual Giving relies on to achieve its strategic goals.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write, compile and edit content of various lengths for print and digital publications, email marketing campaigns, web pages, social media, invitations, newsletters, video scripts, letters, solicitations, speeches, brochures, promotional materials, and other communications according to the Advancement Communications editorial calendar and strategic plan. Content may include, but is not limited to: feature stories; profiles on alumni, donors, students, or faculty/staff; press releases; or event coverage.
- Identify and pursue story leads both on and off campus that demonstrate alumni engagement, the impact of giving, and that support the strategic priorities of the Constituent Engagement and Annual Giving team.
- Write and edit compelling content and collect and/or create digital assets for alumni social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn Manage the social media content calendar in coordination with messaging, published content, events, and fundraising initiatives according to the Advancement Communications strategic plan. Monitor accounts.
- Collaborate with the team to develop event promotion plans, event communications (including print or digital invitations and promotional publications), and follow-up event coverage for alumni, donor, and annual giving events. Provide support at on- and off-campus events.
- Identify opportunities to incorporate video content into communication campaigns to promote events, fundraising campaigns, and other initiatives. Collaborate with video production team to produce videos for social media, website, and other uses.
- Develop content for the alumni and giving website. Identify opportunities for new content and updates.
- Collaborate with the Director of Advancement Communications to execute a strategic communications plan supporting the goals of University Advancement and the Constituent Engagement and Annual Giving team.
- Collaborate with Digital Advancement Communications Specialist to execute email campaigns, enewsletters, and other messages using optimized content, A/B testing, and other best practices.
- Write press releases related to Advancement programs, events, and activities and coordinate with University Marketing staff to publicize through appropriate channels.
- Collaborate with the Annual Giving staff to create innovative and engaging messaging as a part of solicitation campaigns to alumni, friends, faculty, staff, families, and students.
- Provide writing and editing support for donor stewardship initiatives and communications.
- Create and/or source text, graphics, and/or video for multi-channel use in alumni engagement and fundraising campaign. Resize or edit photos as needed for various purposes.
- Participate in team discussions to contribute ideas for ways to engage alumni, inspire giving, and steward donors.
- Work with University Marketing staff and contracted vendors to plan photo shoots and secure images for projects.
- Manage projects from idea generation to content development to distribution through intended communication channels.
- Manage projects to ensure on time, on budget production and delivery of projects.
- Attend off-campus media events and presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, English, professional writing or related field.
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated (three or more years) professional writing and editing experience for print, web, and social media with messages aimed at internal and external audiences. Demonstrated experience managing projects to successful conclusion from concept through final execution. Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with individuals and groups to accomplish strategic brand communication goals. Demonstrated experience in multitasking, and in managing simultaneous projects with successful, timely completion.
OTHER: Evening and weekend hours as required. Occasional local and regional travel required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must demonstrate creative writing talent through published work across a variety of formats, media, and length, such as email marketing campaigns, releases, feature articles, periodicals, newsletters or brochures. Excellent interviewing, copyediting and editorial ability. Expertise in editing and proofreading skills across a variety of media.
- Understanding of branding and positioning strategies for the institution and for specific projects.
- Understanding of integrated marketing communication and how to effectively translate brand messages across various mediums. Knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication.
- Expertise in social media marketing strategies, tactics, and content management systems.
- Expertise in conducting interviews, research, and gathering and synthesizing information from many sources.
- Understanding of email communication best practices, web standards, user experience, and use of social media to meet organizational goals.
- Familiarity with print and basic video production.
- Skill in writing for a variety of audiences on a wide variety of topics. Ability to translate complex technical language and ideas into language easily comprehensible to non-specialists.
- Demonstrated experience following and establishing editorial and production calendars, determining the final form of communications material, and for resolving complex communications issues.
- Highly organized and able to work under deadline pressure while managing multiple projects independently and efficiently.
- Ability to "ghost write" for various university administrators, staff, and volunteers.
- Interpersonal skills to facilitate work with a wide range of individuals and groups across campus.
- Familiarity with appropriate business software applications.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and presentation skills to effectively communicate with internal and external audiences.
- Ability to lead and work in a team environment.
- Strong initiative to develop creative approaches and solutions to problems.
- Professional level skills in publications development with writing and editing experience preferable for a non-profit organization.
- Experience using Anthology Encompass (formerly known as iModules), Salesforce Marketing Cloud, web content management systems, email campaigns and online commerce activities; basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
- Prior communication experience in the field of education or at a non-profit organization.
- Knowledge of photography, video production, and digital publishing.
- Experience updating websites and social media platforms.
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits* such as:
- 75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- State Pension Retirement Plan
- Optional Retirement Savings Plans
- Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
- And More!
*For a detailed summary of benefits for this position, please navigate here.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for Internal applicants is October 30, 2022.
The review of all applications will be October 31, 2022.