OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Assistant Director of Project Management
DIVISION: Administration & Facilities
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 14
EEO STATUS: N/A
JOB CODE: N/A
REPORTS TO: Director of Information Systems
SUPERVISES: Functional supervision of employees with IT project management responsibilities and project teams
Salary: Salary for ESU
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Assistant Director of Project Management coordinates strategic UMass Dartmouth IT projects. They provide leadership and functional oversight in the adoption and consistent use of project management tools, processes, and procedures in IT. Their hands-on knowledge of contemporary project management methodologies and tools combined with an understanding of information technology platforms and infrastructure is the foundation for their success in this role. The projects range from IT infrastructure projects, software/cloud platform implementations and upgrade projects to business process conversions to modern IT solutions. These can be UMassD solutions or multi-campus collaborations with or without vendor involvement. The Assistant Director’s typical week consists of project meetings, developing and maintaining project plans and interactions with a variety of UMassD stakeholders, vendors, and peers across the UMass system. They can explain technical solutions to non-tech savvy project team members and convey business requirements to IT staff. They actively seek improvements in their daily work flows and processed to improve efficiency. We expect the Assistant Director to provide excellent customer service to our campus community in support of the academic and research mission at UMass Dartmouth.
Follow the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and maintains consistent project plans and coordinate implementations.
- Develops and distributes all project-based communications, tailoring content to suit the targeted audience.
- Guides, inspires, and motivates project teams to meet target milestones and overall objectives.
- Writes, maintains, and obtains sign-off on project specification documentation from stakeholders and technical staff.
- Participates in the selection of technology solutions to business problems, analyzing user needs.
- Advises constituents in the alignment of business process requirements with information systems and performs fit/gap analyses.
- Acts as the liaison between technical staff, stakeholders, vendors, and business process owners.
- Establishes training plans, coordinates training delivery, and monitors efficacy of training.
- Assists with production support issues during project closeout and stabilization.
- Promotes cross-team and cross-functional collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Participates in system and application integration testing efforts and provides feedback to technical staff.
- Supports data-driven decision making with accurate record keeping; informs project sponsors as risks emerge.
- Participates in professional development opportunities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree
EXPERIENCE: Significant experience (over 5 years) managing IT projects of varying scope and complexity.
Significant experience with contemporary project management tools (our current choice is TaskRay in the Salesforce platform).
Significant experience with productivity tools to efficiently manage project teams, communications, and documentation (we currently use Microsoft 365).
Previous experience working in a case management system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Significant leadership and issue resolution skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work assignments successfully in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to approach projects and problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
- Ability to make written and oral presentations clearly and effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with a diverse University community.
- Positive customer service attitude, patience with customers.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- May involve evening and weekend hours as necessary.
- Travel may be required.
- Current PMP Certification.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in MIS.
- Higher Education business process experience.
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Disability
State Pension Retirement Plan
Optional Retirement Savings Plans
Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
Twelve (12) paid holidays
Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
Benefits: Benefits for ESU
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
UMass Dartmouth requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all faculty, staff, and students who wish to work, live, learn or physically come to campus. Read More.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will be ongoing.