General Summary of Position: Performs carpentry construction, renovation, and repair of buildings including sheet rock walls, doors and frames, windows and sills, cabinetry, glazing and related building components.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction):
Carpenter II or other employees of higher grade who provide instruction, assign work, and review performance through inspections and reports for compliance with standard procedures.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF- May exercise supervision over 1-5 tradesworkers, or laborers.
THEIR STAFF- N/A.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs the construction and repair of buildings and all wooden structures, form work for concrete placements, doors and hardware (excluding locksmith work), steel stud walls, ceilings, suspended ceilings, plastic laminate installation, and glass installations.
- Inspects, repairs, maintains, and operates staging, rigging, and scaffolding, following accepted safety practices in order to gain access to areas needing carpentry work.
- Operates, cleans, and maintains hand and power tools, air compressors, and carpentry tools as required.
- Confers with supervision and department heads regarding the scheduling of work, the handling of emergencies and the feasibility of carpentry shop work orders to ensure that the needs of the are met expeditiously and conveniently.
- Performs skilled bench work in carpentry shop by operating power saws, joiners, wood lathes, planers, sanders, and boring or mortising equipment.
- Performs carpentry preventative maintenance on all structures.
- Performs related duties such as preparing various reports, maintaining records and files, setting up signs and barricades, reading instructions on lay-outs, removing and placing glass, and moving office furniture as necessary to do carpentry work safely and efficiently as well as other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in carpentry, woodworking or cabinet-making work, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience or the following substitutions: A diploma of certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school, at high school level or higher, with a major in carpentry, woodworking or cabinetmaking may be substituted for the required experience.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess a current and valid motor vehicle driver’s license and be eligible to operate a vehicle in the state of Massachusetts.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of carpentry.
- Knowledge of the types of building structures.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of material used in carpentry.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in carpentry.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of safety equipment used in carpentry.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand held tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of tools used in carpentry benchwork.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small measurement devices such as calipers, levels, rulers, steel squares, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand held power tools such as power saws, power drills, power hammers, etc.
- Knowledge of the properties and characteristics of wood.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of safety and/or climbing equipment such as scaffolds, ladders, rigging, etc.
- Skill in using small hand tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
- Skill in using small measurement devices such as calipers, levels, rules, steel squares, gauges, etc.
- Skill in using hand held power tools such as saws, drills, power hammers, etc.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans, blueprints, drawings, etc.
- Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to give oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates and available resources; controlling work through periodic review and/or evaluations: determining subordinates’ training needs and providing or arranging for such training; motivating subordinates to work effectively; determining the need for disciplinary action and either recommending or initiating disciplinary action.
Department: Facilities Operations
No. of Positions-1
Hours: Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 2:00pm
Union: AFT Maintainers
Benefits: Benefits for AFT Maintainers
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of supervision.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is June 23, 2022.
The deadline for EXTERNAL applicants is June 28, 2022.