OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Support Services Manager
DIVISION: Administrative and Fiscal Services
DEPARTMENT: Facilities & Physical Plant
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 14
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 3.7
JOB CODE: 043
MINIMUM SALARY: $ESU Salary Ranges
REPORTS TO: Reports to the Assistant Director of Facilities
SUPERVISES: Provides direct supervision to the Supervisor of Janitors, HVAC, Electrician, Locksmith and Plumber. Provides indirect supervision to the grounds and custodial staff.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Support Services Manager has responsibility for managing the day- to- day housekeeping and grounds assignments. The Support Services Manager, under the direction of the Assistant Director of Facilities, oversees and coordinates special housekeeping and grounds requests and projects. The Support Service Manager, under the direction of the Assistant Director of Facilities, is responsible for ensuring appropriate grounds and custodial services and support are provided for all on-campus and off-campus University activities, events, conferences, meetings, functions, etc.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Assistant Director with the enforcement of OSHA safety regulations.
- Assists the Assistant Director with monitoring the leave management system for employees within the housekeeping and grounds units and conduct monthly audits. Assists the Assistant Director with the grounds and custodial overtime paperwork.
- Makes recommendations to the Assistant Director for all schedules, and work shift changes as related to custodial and grounds related jobs to accommodate special events/projects. Submits daily requests to Assistant Director for overtime within the unit for approval.
- Uses 25Live conferencing software, approve all resources and spaces, attend such meetings and maintains communication with the Conference Office about events.
- Oversees the Woodland Commons for any and all functions, including scheduling overtime for events and working with Woodland Maintainer I’s to coordinate set ups and use of the building.
- May be required to initiate Dig-Safes and stake out area with Grounds to ensure proper/safe tent placement.
- Meet weekly with the Conference Services Manager to coordinate conference services for Woodland Commons complex and residential rentals during the summer and academic year.
- Responsible for working in collaboration with Conference and Events to arrange services for conferences, workshops, camps and other events by accommodating facilities, specifying services, and conducting walk-through of spaces.
- Responsible for coordinating activities of support services and staff for conferences, events and activities such as summer conferences, orientation and event functions for residential halls, student activities such as Freedom Festival, Spring Fest, Move-In, Move-Out etc.
- Uses the FAMIS/CAMIS Work Order System.
- Assists the Assistant Director in the ongoing in-house training and makes recommendations for professional development and training needs for all employees.
- Assists the Assistant Director with the quality assurance assessment program. Conduct quality assurance reviews on all employees monthly and conduct annual evaluations of assigned employees.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a Quality Assurance Rounding Program which will include, but is not limited to, assigning buildings for inspections (rounds), entering data and initiating work orders, assigning work, creating and maintaining a live spreadsheet and an active log of monthly activities, follow-up.
- Responds to and coordinates operations response to emergency situations during regular shifts, nights, weekends and holidays as directed.
- Develops, promotes and maintains a customer service orientation program between staff, students, clients and co-workers and insures follow-up after projects’ completion.
- Reports damage of residential and academic facilities using the department’s work request system.
- Under the direction of Assistant Director of Facilities coordinates and stages all major furniture moves in housing to support 6000 plus students, staff and guests.
- Assists the Assistant Director with external contracts with vendors including pest management and waste management.
- Works with other leaders within the Physical Plant to support the snow response team for both academic and residential parking lots, drives, and all other grounds.
- Serves as Housekeeping and Grounds department lead in the absence of the Assistant Director.
- Assists the Assistant Director with the preparation and maintenance of the Housekeeping and Grounds annual budget.
- Serves on various University committees and represent the department to the university community and the general public.
- Assists Facilities with implementing sustainability goals.
- Serves as a liaison with other campus departments as appropriate.
- Manages janitorial product ordering i.e. chemicals, shower curtains etc.
EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree in Business, Hotel and Restaurant management, Facilities Management or related field
EXPERIENCE: Previous experience in housekeeping management within an institutional or large
Residential facility. Demonstrated experience in the supervision of housekeeper’s personnel. APPA or EFP Certification or equivalent certification
OTHER: Must be available to respond to situations that arise during holidays, weekends or evenings, including being “on call” after normal business hours. Valid driver’s license required. May work under adverse conditions and extremes of heat, cold, dampness, and humidity. May be exposed to the harmful effects of noxious gases, mold, mildew, may work in confined spaces and various heights such as manholes, ladders, and staging.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge and understanding of housekeeping and conference operations within a large sized university system.
- Ability to work successfully with clients, students, staff, faculty and other departments and other agencies.
- Demonstrated ability in working with external vendors and contractors.
- Ability to train staff.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Extensive knowledge working with work standards and specifications.
- Knowledge of code regulations.
- Ability to supervise housekeepers and student staff.
- IEHA certification
- ISO 9000/ 1400 certification
- Proficient in the use of office software and work management systems. Proficient oral and written communication skills.
- Work order system.
- Leadership skills, Customer focused, value employees, strong diversity skills, must be reliable, strong work ethic, strong interpersonal skills, experience working in a unionized environment; manage by walking around philosophy
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits such as:
- 75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- State Pension Retirement Plan
- Optional Retirement Savings Plans
- Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
- And More!
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
The deadline for INTERNALS to apply is May 3, 2022.
The review of all applications will begin May 4, 2022.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.