OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Online Technologies Administrator / Instructional Technologist
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: CITS – Instructional Development
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU Cat. 11
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 37
JOB CODE: 1020
REPORTS TO: Director of Instructional Technology
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $ ESU SALARY RANGES
BENEFITS: Benefits for ESU
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Online Technologies Administrator / Instructional Technologist works as a member of the CITS Instructional Development team to provide administrative and technical support for instructional technologies such as blogs, wikis, clickers, lecture capture, exam tools, and the campus online learning management system in support of face-to-face, blended and fully online courses at UMass Dartmouth. Serves as service leader for the learning management system; coordinating administration, usage guidelines, and data integrations, to maintain and ensure academic continuity. Works collaboratively with faculty and instructional designers in the development of video, audio, and other interactive technologies that support face-to-face, blended, and online courses. This position evaluates emerging and evolving technologies that will improve or enhance web-based communications and online instructional effectiveness.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administers the campus learning management system (LMS) used to deliver online, blended and web-enhanced courses at UMass Dartmouth;
- Serves as liaison with IT Development, Access Management, and other campus constituents to ensure the campus learning management system meets the needs of UMass Dartmouth online and blended programs;
- Coordinates with UMassOnline, publishers, third party vendors, and campus departments to convey business needs, oversee continuous improvement efforts, facilitate upgrades, patches, and integrations to the campus learning management system;
- Develops and disseminates faculty and student communications that pertain to feature changes and operation of the campus learning management system;
- Receives functional supervision from the Instructional Technology Coordinator in administering and supporting instructional technologies resources; blogs, wikis, clickers, interactive video and audio, and lecture capture;
- Troubleshoots online course functionality such as discussion boards, surveys, quizzes, exams, course multimedia, and the integration of external computer applications and systems;
- Analyzes and implements strategies and solutions to pedagogical challenges using a variety of software and innovative technologies;
- Develops and conducts training sessions and online resources for faculty in the areas of best practices for use of learning technologies, online learning, and multi-media instruction;
- Provides ongoing assistance to instructional designers to ensure course accessibility accommodations are being met;
- Researches and evaluates new instructional technologies and new versions of existing technology;
- Provides clear and concise face-to-face consultations and electronic correspondence with faculty on how to incorporate instructional technologies into the teaching and learning process;
- Resolves escalated issues and provides tier 1 (helpdesk) back-up support by responding in a timely manner to requests for assistance in using various instructional technologies;
- Creates, updates, prioritizes, and tracks user problems using ticket system;
- Creates and revises end user documentation (self-help resources, web content, etc.) and system documentation;
- Works proactively and cooperatively with Instructional Development and the IT Service Center to provide excellent customer service;
- Attend user’s group meetings, seminars, and conferences, to maintain state of the art knowledge of emerging technologies, learning management systems, mobile technologies, and online instructional design practices and strategies;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree.
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated (over three years) experience administering learning management systems (such as Blackboard, Canvas, or Moodle). Experience working with and supporting instructional technologies such as classroom polling systems, blogs, wikis, web-conferencing, lecture capture, and digital audio and video production. Experience evaluating, selecting, and/or using emerging instructional technologies.
OTHER: Must be available to respond to situations that arise during the evenings and weekends. Position requires travel to off campus meetings and conferences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Applied knowledge of fair use and copyright guidelines as related to education.
- Applied knowledge of ADA regulations and TEACH act guidelines.
- Knowledge of HTML 5/mobile content delivery.
- Effective oral and written communication and organizational skills to work with University community to promote online learning.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Evidence of creativity, attention to detail, and collaborative approaches to work.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Significant (5+ years’) working with learning management systems.
- Higher education experience working with instructional technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems technology or instructional design.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is April 11, 2022.
The review of applications will begin April 12, 2022.