OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Staff Nurse (44-week position)
DIVISION: Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Health Services
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU Cat. 13
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 36
JOB CODE: 313
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Health Services
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $ ESU SALARY RANGES
BENEFITS: Benefits for ESU
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Provides professional nursing care to UMass Dartmouth Community students. Provides proficient, age specific and developmentally appropriate nursing care to college students. Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts assessment, evaluation, treatment and/or referrals of student health related complaints.
- Assists and supports nurse practitioners and other health services staff by providing triage, medications, treatments, laboratory tests, post-surgical care, booking follow up appointments and referrals as needed.
- Administers first aid to university staff, visitors, students and employees injured on the job.
- Completes Industrial Accident Reports for employees injured on the job.
- Provides attention to ensure that medical needs of handicapped students are met.
- Assists with data collection and the maintenance of student health records.
- Administers immunizations according to Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice (ACIP) recommendations.
- Maintains vaccine inventory.
- Administers therapeutic and prophylactic injections and other medications as ordered.
- Administers tuberculin tests, documents and interprets results.
- Collects specimens for laboratory tests as ordered, including phlebotomy. Performs CLIA waived tests in the office.
- Troubleshoots issues with reference lab and orders supplies from reference lab.
- Provides student health insurance information, referrals and assists with claims as needed
- Assists in coordination of care by acting as a liaison between primary care providers, ancillary health services, UMD Student Health Services, students and parents.
- Maintains a clean environment per OSHA standards.
- Performs quality assurance activities as directed.
- Maintains medical equipment used for assessment and makes recommendations for additional equipment as needed.
- Maintains records necessary to comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Assists in tracking of supplies to insure adequate supplies are available.
- Assists Nurse Practitioners with follows-up as directed.
- Maintains material data safety sheets (MDSS) and records of drugs used, stored and secured.
- Respects and supports patient rights.
- Practices and promotes positive customer and peer relations.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
Licensure: Currently licensed as Registered Nurse in Massachusetts
Experience: Previous experience (over 1 year) in Emergency Room, Outpatient or Community Nursing
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to provide compassionate nursing care to diverse populations.
- Ability to administer immunizations, draw laboratory tests and provide nursing triage.
- Experience in college health nursing
- Computer literacy
- Phlebotomy skills
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is April 11, 2022.
The review of applications will begin April 12, 2022.