Upward Bound English Teacher (Grant-Funded)
Upward Bound Summer Program
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To provide instruction in a six-week summer residential program to students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds and seek to promote the total growth of the student as a primary objective.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and teach high school level curriculum in appropriate subject matter.
- Plan and develop pre- and post-testing in your specialized field.
- Provide tutorial assistance to students.
- Document and prepare written reports on students’ progress.
- Enforce all Upward Bound rules and regulations.
- Assist in supervision at program events and activities.
- Assist the Director with other functions as required for program effectiveness.
- Participate in teacher orientation prior before summer program.
- Attend weekly 1-hour staff meetings
- Complete a final evaluation for each student.
- Other program related duties, as assigned by the Director.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in respective discipline.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of successful teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
OTHER: Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of low-income students and disadvantaged youth. Position starts on June 27, 2022 – July 29, 2022. Teaching responsibilities consist of teaching 4 days a week and up to 4 subjects in respective discipline.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to develop and teach high school level classes in respective discipline.
- Ability to tutor students.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Proven ability to effectively manage a classroom of “at risk” students.
- Demonstrated strong academic preparation for relevant field of instruction.
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts Core Standards preferred, or a willingness to be acquainted with standards.
- Familiarity dealing with students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds.
- Massachusetts Teacher Certification.
- Teaching experience, preferably with urban youth and those with disparate learning needs.
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Upward Bound English Teacher
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
NO. OF POSITIONS: 1
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $25.00 - $35.00/hr (Commensurate with experience)
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Upward Bound and Program Coordinator
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.