Tutor Mentor (Grant-Funded) - 6 Positions
Upward Bound Summer Program
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To provide tutoring; serve as classroom instructional aid; and supervise a residential suite of students.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tutor students individually and in groups in a variety of subjects
- Teach study skills that assist students in preparation for postsecondary education.
- Provide and maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning and retaining material studied.
- Proactively organize programming to meet student’s emotional, social, behavioral, and developmental needs.
- Monitor and participate in daily meals.
- Provide supervision and assistance to students in library, lab, and study halls.
- Assist students in developing and employing effective study techniques.
- Monitor student progress with assignments.
- Supervise study hours.
- Supervise a residential suite of students.
- Assist in chaperoning all field trips, cultural and recreational activities.
- Monitor student compliance with Program rules and regulations.
- Assist residential staff in residential activities.
- Other program related duties, as assigned.
- On call for student needs during residential stay and rotating student supervision night shifts.
- Remain highly visible to students and staff throughout the course of each day.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The Upward Bound Tutor Mentor must be a sophomore or higher in college and must demonstrate a mastery of the subject area which he or she is designated to tutor. The Tutor Mentor must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or above. It is required that he/she exhibits sensitivity toward Upward Bound participants. It is preferred that Tutor Mentors have experience in peer tutoring, mentoring, and demonstrate a potential for leadership.
EDUCATION: College student, sophomore or higher, GPA 2.7 or higher
OTHER: Ability to relate to students of diverse ethnic backgrounds. This is a live-in position for 7 weeks starting June 20, 2022 – August 5, 2022. Key component is tutoring in English/Math/Science & mentoring.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience living or working in a dormitory.
- Ability to relate to students of diverse ethnic backgrounds.
- Familiarity with disadvantaged student populations.
- Ability to provide a strong positive role model for students.
- Ability to promote academic excellence.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form.
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Tutor Mentor
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
NO. OF POSITIONS: 6
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS/SALARY: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $14.25/hr plus free room and board
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Program Coordinator, Residential Supervisor, and Assistant Residential Supervisor
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.