Residential Supervisor (Grant-Funded)
Upward Bound Summer Program
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To manage residential operations in a dormitory of 40+ Upward Bound students and direct a staff of 6-8 in the provision of tutoring and student activities.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct and supervise residential staff in delivery of services to students.
- Responsible for the orderly maintenance of resident housing lists.
- Issue room assignments in accordance with instruction of the Program Coordinator.
- Disperse and collect room keys as appropriate.
- Report maintenance and custodial needs to appropriate university offices.
- Serve as program’s liaison to University Housing Office.
- Monitor and enforce student compliance with program rules related to residence quarters.
- Supervise the assignment of tutorials
- Plan and coordinate cross-curricular and recreational programming.
- Coordinate staff development activities, weekly staff meetings, and student assemblies.
- Plan and supervise day and night duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator and Director.
- On call for students needs during residential stay.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferred or college student senior or higher currently enrolled with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
EXPERIENCE: One-year successful experience working with disadvantaged High school students. Experience in programming and developing activities for students. Two years college campus residential living experience as student or staff.
OTHER: Demonstrated sensitivity to low income students and ethnically and racially diverse student populations. On campus residence required during the Summer Program starting June 15, 2022 – August 5, 2022.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to create and maintain orderly housing records.
- Demonstrated residential administration skill.
- Knowledge of issues related to interpersonal dynamics in a dormitory of secondary school students.
- Ability to effectively organize and coordinate student activities.
- Ability to promote, among students, an appreciation for academic excellence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Knowledge of the rules of major sports.
- Ability to represent a positive role model for students.
- Previous residential experience as a staff member.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience managing staff, and building a positive team-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in using positive approaches to behavioral management with high school aged students preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of best practices for mentoring and tutoring preferred.
- Experience engaging with urban high school aged youth preferred.
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Residential Supervisor
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
NO. OF POSITIONS: 1
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS/SALARY: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $16.00/hr plus free room and board
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director and Program Coordinator
SUPERVISES: Assistant Residential Supervisor, Tutor Mentors
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.