UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS DARTMOUTH
OFFICAL JOB TITLE: Technical Associate
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
WORKING TITLE: Research Technician
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: AFT
EEO STATUS: 35
JOB CODE: 1965
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: TBD
SUPERVISES: Student research assistants
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The primary responsibility of a Technical Associate is to assist students, faculty and other researchers with all aspects of carrying out research: including conducting research operations, presenting results and assisting with grant proposal preparation and administration.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Perform research under the supervision of a more senior researcher
· Assist with experimental or research program design
· Assist and supervise student researchers
· Provide process specific training
· Supervise, manage and maintain experimental or computational equipment
· Analyze data, maintain records and/or laboratory notebooks
· Assist with all aspects of laboratory operation including stocking and ordering supplies, cleaning and organizing
· Prepare presentation materials
· Assist with grant proposal preparation
· Assist with preparation of manuscripts and publications
· Assist with development, implementation and maintenance of web based communications
EDUCATION: Baccalaureate degree in a relevant field
EXPERIENCE: Hands on experience in an area related to the research activity
OTHER: Ability and willingness to work irregular hours may be required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Strong communication skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Ability to conduct experiments and/or perform computations
· Ability to assist, supervise and train student researchers and research staff
· Ability to maintain, calibrate and operate equipment
· Significant knowledge about equipment repair
· Ability to learn new laboratory and/or computational techniques and skills
· Ability to practice and promote safe, clean and secure laboratory practices
· Ability to assist and support senior researchers in all aspects of running a research enterprise
· Other as identified by the supervisor
· As identified by the supervisor
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the positions are filled.