General Summary of Position: UEC specialist provides year-round support that is critical for the academic success, retention, and graduation of UMassD students. Specialist provides cross-functional services in the areas of continuing education enrollment services, registration, student account services, and financial aid. Specialist assists with enrollment-related transactions, providing transcripts, answering questions regarding student account balances, accept payments, and help students with understanding and managing various holds, completing financial aid requirements, filing and processing financial aid related documents, and advising students on financial aid options. Specialist provides exemplary customer service providing high quality, timely, customer focused service to students.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction
Receive direct supervision from the Director of the University Enrollment Center.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF-N/A
THEIR STAFF- N/A
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- UEC functions as the “One Stop Shop” University Enrollment Center: Student services are rendered specifically on behalf of the Offices of the Registrar, Bursar, Financial Aid, and Continuing Education. Services entail processing all official documents related to a student’s account which also include deferments and waivers, processing payments (check and cash) all while maintaining required handling protocols.
- Create a welcoming, inclusive, culturally competent customer-service focused environment for all customers through email, written correspondence, in person or by telephone.
- Counsel, investigate, problem-solve and resolve questions and issues from current and former students, faculty, staff, parents, and third parties.
- Performs student services functions pertaining to registration such as, but not limited to, adding and dropping of classes, enrollment verification, transcript ordering, change of name and address, enrollment cancellation, late registration fee waivers, non-resident tuition waiver, graduation, and withdrawal.
- Assist students with various questions regarding their customer account including payments, disbursements, holds, book vouchers and refunds.
- Provide detailed financial aid information to students in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies, with regards to the application process, needs determination, verification, and status of their financial aid application in accordance with the financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Complete transactions related to registration, student account services, and financial aid processing to the extent possible. For issue(s) requiring additional assistance, UEC Specialist will direct student to proper point of contact for resolution.
- Manage reporting including but not limited to the Department of Transitional Assistance, Department of Housing Authority, Mass Rehab; degree audit reports.
- Process third party billing for Online and Continuing Education including but not limited to completing necessary paperwork, reaching out to students, and processing payments
- Assist in the write off process and collections of Online and Continuing Education (OCE) unpaid student debt.
- Assist with verification/documentation and ensure accuracy and successful completion of forms and additional documentation: Scholarship verification, sibling verification, financial aid requirements.
- Assist with various office support functions, including but not limited to scanning documents, filing, answer incoming calls and making return calls as needed, and researching and responding to email.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervision from the assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Understand and abide by FERPA & HIPPA regulations.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below:
I. An Associate's or higher degree with a major in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for the required experience. *
II. An Associate’s or higher degree with a major other than in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience. *
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
NOTE: Educational substitutions will only be permitted for a maximum of two years of the required experience. https://www.mass.edu/forfacstaff/classificationspecs/home.asp
Preferred: Spanish speaking
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management.
- Knowledge of the methods of general report writing.
- Knowledge of the methods used in the preparation of charts, graphs and tables.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of general office equipment.
- Ability to understand, explain and apply the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents.
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
- Ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures.
- Ability to determine proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
- Ability to prepare general reports.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to prepare and use charts, graphs, and tables.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression.
- Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to establish rapport and maintain harmonious working relationships with persons from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates and available resources; controlling work through periodic reviews and /or evaluations; determining subordinates' training needs and providing or arranging for such training; motivating subordinates to work effectively; determining the need for disciplinary action and either recommending or initiating disciplinary action.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
Department: University Enrollment
No. of Positions-1
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
- Knowledge of the proper telephone procedures for making and receiving agency calls.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms.
- Knowledge of the range of enrollment-related services and processes provided by UMassD.
- Ability to work effectively with administrative departments and student service units.
- Ability to interpret University policies and procedures and utilize the PeopleSoft system to analyze and process students’ transactions.
- Ability to resolve issues and to know when and to whom an issue should be directed
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is November 29, 2021.
The deadline for EXTERNAL applicants is December 3, 2021.