General Summary of Position: Does related work to maintain, decorate and protect wood, metal, plaster and other surfaces by applying paints, varnish and/or stains.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction):
Works under the direct supervision of Painter II or Carpenter II who provides instruction, assigns work, and reviews performance through inspection for proper completion; works under general supervision of Maintenance Foreman Working and Operations Manager and other employees of higher grade.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF- Functional supervision over 1-5 laborer personnel.
THEIR STAFF- None
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Applies paints, varnish, and/or stains to all types of surfaces in order to protect and beautify such surfaces using appropriate utensils and equipment.
2. Prepares surfaces for painting using appropriate tools, power washing equipment, painting equipment, and techniques.
3. Selects the types and colors of paints, varnish or stain and mixes, blends and prepares the same for proper color match.
4. Erects, repairs, maintains and operates staging, rigging and scaffolding following accepted safety practices in order to gain access to areas needing painting.
5. Estimates length of time, cost and quantities of materials and manpower needed to complete a job.
6. Operates, cleans and maintains hand and power tools, air compressors and painting equipment as required.
7. Confers with supervisors and department head regarding the scheduling of work, the handling of emergencies and the feasibility of installing painting equipment and materials in the area in order to ensure that needs of the agency are met expeditiously and at a convenient time.
8. Prepares surfaces for plaster or cement work by taping joints on sheetrock, caulking and waterproofing walls and cracks in floors, etc. by using appropriate tools and equipment.
9. Performs related duties such as preparing various reports; maintaining records and files; setting up signs and
barricades; reading instructions on lay-outs; removing and placing glass; drilling holes in and installing signs; printing letters and signs; laying out drop cloths; and moving office furniture.
10. May operate road-line painting machines and sand blasting equipment; plaster ceilings and walls; clean gutters; and/or load and unload furniture and supplies.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
*Knowledge of the practices and techniques in painting.
*Knowledge of the types and uses of painting materials such as paints, varnishes, stains, etc.
*Knowledge of the types and uses of painting tools such as brushes, rollers, spray machine guns, etc.
*Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand-held tools such as power saws, power drills, powers hammers, etc.
*Knowledge of the properties and characteristics of wood.
*Knowledge of the methods of preparation of woods, metal, glass, plaster, cement and other materials and surfaces for painting.
*Knowledge of the practices and techniques of mixing and matching paints.
*Knowledge of the types and uses of safety or climbing equipment used in painting such as scaffolds, ladders and rigging.
*Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in painting.
*Knowledge of chemical solvents used to prepare surfaces for painting and clean up.
*Knowledge of the types of finishes used in painting.
*Skills in using small hand tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
*Skill in using hand held power tools such as power saws, power drills, power hammers, etc.
*Skill in the use of the painting tools such as rollers, sprayers, etc.
*Skill in applying paints and other finishes by brush, cloth, air gun, etc.
*Skill in using painting equipment such as hand and power-operated paint chippers, sand blasting equipment, etc.
*Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
*Ability to give oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
*Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
*Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds.
*Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
*Ability to lift and carry objects.
*Ability to work in inhabited spaces.
*Physical stamina and endurance.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
At least one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in painting work or the following substitution: a diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational high school at the high school level or higher with a major in painting may substituted for the required experience.
License and/or Certification Requirements:
Must possess a current and valid motor vehicle driver’s license and be eligible to operate a vehicle in the state of Massachusetts.
Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods under varying climatic conditions. Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class 3 or higher Motor Vehicle Operator’s License may be required. Position requires employee to be “on-call” at the discretion of Facilities Management to respond to situations that arise during holidays, weekends or evenings after assigned shift hours.
Physical Activity Frequency
Climbing Stairs Occasional
Near Vision Frequent
Far Vision Frequent
Lifting/Carrying (30 lbs) Frequent
Frequency Key (hours per day): Never = 0; Rare = up to 1 hour; Occasional = 1 to 3 hours; Frequent = 3 to 6 hours; Constant = 6 to 7 ½ hours.
Department: Housing Maintenance
No. of Positions-1
Weekly Salary: $782.63
Hours: Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 2:00pm
Union: AFT Maintainers
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities in connection with painting work.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is December 13, 2021
The review of applications will begin December 14, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.