Unified Communications Specialist
Job no: 511000
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions, UPST
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Unified Communications Specialist
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 13
EEO STATUS: 3.7
JOB CODE: 1006
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Network Services
SUPERVISES: Supervises student assistants as work requires
SALARY: ESU Salary Range
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Works as a member of the UMass Dartmouth Network and Telecommunications Team and is responsible for installing and maintaining the cable plant and connectivity for telecommunications and networking operations. Primarily responsible for all telecommunications M/A/Cs (moves, adds and changes.) Supported services include instances of converged voice, video and data systems (i.e. VoIP) and the underlying network and cabling infrastructure. Provide hands-on technical support for the UMass Dartmouth community - consisting of faculty, staff and students on the main campus and satellite sites. Expand skills related to UMass Dartmouth’s deployment of Microsoft Teams Voice into managing the unified communications platform for a remote-hybrid work force while phasing out the legacy phone system. Support legacy telecom infrastructure including POTS where required. Collaborates with the Cloud Systems Architect on the University-wide deployment of Microsoft Teams as the next-generation communication suite. Work closely with other teams within CITS as well as other departments to promote the efficient use of the University's network and telecommunication resources. Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in the maintenance of telecommunication systems for the UMass Dartmouth community - consisting of faculty, staff and students on the main campus, residence halls and satellite sites in a mix of on-site, hybrid, and remote work force.
- Respond to customer inquiries utilizing an electronic help desk system (e.g. Salesforce); logs inquiries and ensures resolution in close collaboration with the CITS Service Center team.
- Provide technical support for all telecommunications user M/A/Cs (moves, adds and changes.)
- Provide hands-on voice, video and data network hardware installations, maintenance and upgrades.
- Proactively analyze, troubleshoot and resolve of telecommunications systems and circuit issues in a timely manner.
- Manage Microsoft Teams Voice platform rollout to the campus community.
- Support the day-to-day Microsoft Teams operations related to communication activities.
- Configure and maintain devices and systems such as SBCs (Session Border Controllers), Media Gateways, Media Servers, Application Servers, CDRs (Call Detail Recorders), VoIP Handsets and Headsets, etc.
- Working closely with the network technician, test & troubleshoot both copper and fiber optic cabling as well as wireless technology.
- Assist in the development and deployment of telecommunication systems.
- Participate in the planning, promoting and coordinating of the University's telecommunication networks to meet the needs for connectivity (i.e. classrooms, labs, offices, video-conference facilities, residence halls.)
- Maintain vendor relations for support of telecommunications and unified communication platforms.
- Interface with other CITS teams where appropriate to establish and maintain telecommunication systems.
- Work with customers to understand their technology needs and priorities.
- Attend user group meetings, seminars and training classes to maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of telecommunication standards and technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree or more than 5 years of working experience supported by professional certifications in Telecommunications Administration and/or unified communications platforms
- Experience more than 1 year installing, maintaining and repairing telecommunications and networking cabling infrastructure.
- Experience with configuring and maintaining traditional PBX telephone systems (i.e. Avaya Communications Manager, Asterisk, etc.).
- Experience with configuring, deploying and maintaining VoIP systems (i.e. Avaya, Cisco, MS Teams, etc.).
- Experience with T1 and PRI circuits/trunks.
- Experience with SIP applications / SIP trunks.
OTHER: Will need to be available for work during off-hours, evening and/or weekends as projects dictate. Will need to lift and move technology equipment. Will participate in an on-call schedule during peak times that are of critical importance to the university. Some travel will be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern cabling infrastructure.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem resolution skills
- Proven proficiency in installation and testing of cabling infrastructure.
- Excellent technical and non-technical communication skills.
- Ability to make written and oral presentations clearly and effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work successfully in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
- Strong customer service orientation with attention to detail.
- High level of communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to effectively work with all levels of campus and university constituents.
- Experience with Avaya Communication Platform and configuration, including but not limited to ACD, Auto Attendants, Call Routing, Vectors programming.
- Experience with AVST and Microcall administration.
- Experience with or certification in Microsoft Teams Voice administration.
- Experience with Zoom and Zoom rooms.
- Experience working in Higher Education.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional reference.
The deadline for INTERNALS to apply is November 26, 2021.
The review of applications will being November 29, 2021.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend