Cloud Systems Architect
Job no: 510810
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions, UPST
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Cloud Systems Architect
DIVISION: Administration and Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU 15
DEPARTMENT: CITS – IT Infrastructure
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 37
REPORTS TO: Director of IT Infrastructure
SUPERVISES: Provides functional supervision to systems administration professionals
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Provides technical and thought leadership at UMass Dartmouth in coordination with a team of systems administration professionals for distributed, virtualized systems - hosted both on-premise and in private and public cloud environments focused on the Microsoft Azure and 365 A5 ecosystem. Promotes the efficient use of computing resources in a cloud-first approach. Architect and implements cloud-based, resilient, operating system agnostic server and virtual desktop environments. Responsible for managing the Microsoft security frameworks such as ATP and Zero Trust to safeguard local and cloud-based systems and computer environments. Emphasis is on developing the evolutionary architecture and orchestration of highly available, resilient cloud computing resources and leveraging them towards the University’s goals. Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design lead for enterprise Microsoft Active Directory, and related identity systems both on-premise and cloud hosted.
- Design lead for integration of Microsoft 365 A5 suite to include ongoing migration to Microsoft Teams Voice.
- Oversee Windows security posture, file repositories, security auditing, log / SIEM architecture and compliance.
- Design and orchestrate instances of all virtualized enterprise systems across private and public cloud infrastructure.
- Design and orchestrate instances of all virtualized desktop environments including VMware and WVD in Azure.
- Oversee enterprise-wide patch management and software distribution architectures.
- Takes an infrastructure-as-code approach to include version control of specification files.
- Design lead for multifactor authentication architectures to support University-wide deployments.
- Design lead for enterprise backup and restore architectures on-premise as well as cloud replication.
- Design lead for overall systems security posture and deployment across private and public cloud infrastructure.
- Provide technical leadership in enterprise computing space to promote cloud first, cloud forward implementations.
- Thoroughly document system configurations, processes, and automations.
- Log issues and work with the IT case management system to resolve escalated cases.
- Strive to understand customers’ needs and priorities in a diverse university setting.
- Engage with Microsoft, partners, and vendors to stay informed about up-and-coming functionality and to continuously assess the platforms’ risk footprint.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in information systems, management or security technologies.
- Significant experience more than 5 years with enterprise-level Microsoft systems management.
- Significant experience managing distributed MS Active Directory and or federated identity architectures.
- Significant experience with cloud hosted systems deployment and management.
- Demonstrated experience more than 3 years with and/or current certification in Microsoft 365 cloud deployment and management.
- Demonstrated experience with multi-factor authentication architectures and Microsoft security frameworks.
OTHER:Will need to be available for off-hours, evening and/or weekends as projects dictate. Will need to lift and move technology equipment. Will participate in an on-call schedule during peak times that are of critical importance to the university. Some travel will be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with administrators, faculty, staff, students, vendors/contractors and members of the community.
- Excellent technical and non-technical communication skills.
- Ability to make written and oral presentations clearly and effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work successfully in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
- Strong customer service orientation with attention to detail.
- Ability to create and maintain technical documentation (i.e., workflow diagrams, implementation instructions, etc.)
- Significant experience more than 5 years with VMware VCenter server architecture.
- Significant experience with VMware Horizon VDI virtual desktop architecture.
- Demonstrated experience more than 3 years with and/or certification in Azure WVD/AVD VDI virtual desktop architecture.
- Demonstrated experience with VEEAM virtual backup/restore architectures.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft 365 Teams Voice architectures.
- Demonstrated experience with log aggregation and SIEM architectures.
To apply for this position please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional reference.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
This position may have the possibility of working remotely
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants to apply is November 24, 2021.
The review of applications begins on November 26, 2021
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend