GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Technical Specialist I performs and is responsible for the maintenance, testing, repairing, inspection and installation of all types of locks and locking systems, including but not limited to mechanical, electrical and computerized locks and electronic access systems on University Residential Building. This position will use various types of equipment using electrical and electrical testing equipment and devices and small hand tools to determine causes of failure or malfunction to determine repair. Conducts cutting duplicate keys; removing broken keys from locks; opening locks without keys or combinations; cleaning and lubricating lock assemblies; and maintaining records concerning work performed, type and coding of lock installations and location of locks and keys. Receives direct and functional supervision from Technical Specialist II. Performs related work as required.
Follow the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction):
Receives direct and functional supervision from the Technical Specialist II, who reviews performance for effectiveness and conformance to policies, rules, procedures, and regulations, and reviews work assigned for quality of performance and completion of same.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF: None THEIR STAFF: N/A
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Installs lock devices in doors, desks, office equipment and other units according to blueprints, sketches and manuals by cutting holes in wood or metal according to specified dimensions and by fastening together parts of locks with bolts and rivets using hand tools and hand-held power tools.
2. Inspects, tests and determines cause for improper functioning of equipment and devices within the locksmith trade.
3. Assists in establishing and executing a preventive maintenance program with necessary equipment inventory and history records for technical equipment and devices within the locksmith trade; assures that a regular maintenance program is carried out on all door locks.
4. Estimates quantities of materials, supplies and equipment required and initiates procurements through established procedures; maintains an adequate inventory of material for locks and the making of keys, replacement of cylinders and re-keying of cylinders.
5. Maintains the machines necessary for duplication of keys or the making of new keys.
6. Recommends and installs the cylinder and cores as determined by intended use, and the appropriate keying.
7. Picks locks as necessary to gain access upon direction by higher authority.
8. Keeps accurate records of all key codes to assure the ability to duplicate any key; keeps statistical data; manually and/ or electronically such with the use of computers, PDA’s. and various software programs.
9. Makes the repair of all types of locks, cylinders, and all doors.
10. Reviews the key control system for improvement periodically; makes recommendations for new maintenance techniques.
11. Performs related duties such as cutting duplicate keys; removing broken keys from locks; opening locks without keys or combinations; cleaning and lubricating lock assemblies; and maintaining records concerning work performed, type and coding of lock installations and location of locks and keys.
12. Performs or oversees all operations pertaining to electrical and computerized locks and electronic access systems.
13. Maintains knowledge of current electronic and computerized access systems.
14. Performs and coordinates activities relating to all types of locks and locking systems including electronic and computerized access systems to ensure proper operation of equipment.
15. Confers with supervisor or other professional staff regarding the acquisition and installation of equipment, to resolve problems and coordinate efforts.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Required):
Applicants must have (A) at least two years of full-time or equivalent part-time, technical experience in the installation, construction, design, repair, maintenance or testing of electronic, electrical, mechanical and/or electromechanical equipment, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience as per the Massachusetts Classification Specification. https://www.mass.edu/forfacstaff/classificationspecs/home.asp
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
1. Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment and materials used in mechanical and electrical practice.
2. Knowledge of the types and uses of testing equipment used in mechanical and electrical work.
3. Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment and materials used in electronics work.
4. Knowledge of the types and uses of testing equipment used in electronics work.
5. Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in electrical and mechanical work.
6. Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in electronics work.
7. Knowledge of the types and uses of precision measuring equipment, gauges and instrumentation such as micrometers, calipers, levels, etc.
8. Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, etc.
9. Knowledge of the types and uses of hand-held power tools such as saws, drills, hammers, etc.
10. Knowledge of the methods and techniques for conducting electrical and electronic tests on equipment.
11. Skill in the use of electrical testing equipment.
12. Skill in the use of electronics testing equipment.
13. Skill in the use of precision measuring equipment, gauges and instrumentation.
14. Skill in the use of small hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, etc.
15. Skill in the use of hand-held power tools such as saws, drills, hammers, etc.
16. Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans, specifications, blueprints, manuals, etc.
17. Ability to understand and apply the policies, rules, regulations, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
18. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
19. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
20. Ability to give oral and written instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
21. Ability to maintain accurate records.
22. Manual dexterity.
23. Mechanical aptitude.
Department: Facilities Operations
No. of Positions-1
Weekly Salary: $816.03*
*This is a recruitable position. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 3:00pm – 11:00pm
Union: AFT Maintainers
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge’s, skills, abilities):
1. Knowledge of the rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
2. Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms.
Applicants must have at least one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time locksmithing experience. All new appointments, transfers and/or promotions to the position of Technical Specialist I require as a condition of employment satisfactory reference and background checks, including criminal history reports.
The physical requirements of the position require the following:
Physical Activity Frequency
Climbing Stairs Frequent
Near Vision Constant
Far Vision Constant
Lifting/Carrying (30 lbs.) Constant
Frequency Key (hours per day): Never = 0 hours; Rare = up to 1 hour; Occasional = 1 to 3 hours; Frequent = 3 to 6 hours; Constant = 6 to 7½ hours.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is November 22, 2021
The review of applications will begin November 23, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.