Regional Admissions Counselor
Job no: 509513
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Regional Admissions Counselor
DIVISION: Enrollment Management
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, 12
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 32
JOB CODE: 2000
REPORTS TO: Director of Admissions
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $45,875
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Regional Admissions Counselor is responsible for presenting the University to guidance counselors, prospective students and families in a variety of settings utilizing recruitment and communications techniques that most effectively engage contemporary college-bound students. It is expected that the Regional Admissions Counselor will travel during the fall and spring semester to visit high schools, community colleges, attend college fairs, and host off-campus recruitment programs sponsored by UMass Dartmouth. Extensive pre-travel communication and follow-up with all prospective students requires a thorough understanding of and fluency in modern communication techniques including use of social networking sites; blogging; web-based video presentation; broadcast text messaging and a range of web-based marketing techniques. Having the ability to relate in a positive and compelling manner with college bound students by using media and communication techniques that resonate with the University’s largely traditionally aged high school student market share is essential to success in this role.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages territory(s) as assigned by the Director and develop recruitment strategies in the effort to meet the institution’s recruitment goals.
- Works independently, takes initiative and serves as a goal-oriented staff member .
- Utilizes social networking, technologically based recruitment techniques and other web-oriented modes of engaging prospective students in ongoing dialog about the UMass Dartmouth student experience.
- Conducts group information sessions and interviews for students visiting the campus.
- Assists in the implementation of on- and off-campus programs designed for recruitment and yield enhancement.
- Counsels and corresponds with prospective students and their families using a range of traditional and contemporary communication tools.
- Represents the University at college fairs, college nights, open houses and other recruiting programs.
- Develops working relationships with representatives of high schools, community colleges and other education institutions to facilitate enrollment at UMass Dartmouth.
- Work and develop community college relationships, promote transfer recruitment pathways, and overall recruitment of new transfer students.
- Review applications for admissions in their entirety. Recalculate GPA in support of the Department of Higher Education’s guidelines. Review curriculum to determine academic preparation and background. Evaluate applications and make admissions decisions, including use of professional judgement to request additional information or follow up with the applicant or school counselor for clarification or additional materials if needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated (over 3 years) experience working and communicating with prospective students in various guidance, admissions and/or recruitment aspects. Utilization of contemporary web-based marketing techniques.
LOCATION: Expected to live in the assigned territory/region
OTHER: The position requires extensive travel throughout the assigned region. Evening and weekend hours are required to successfully perform the duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong understanding of the undergraduate student academic and social cultures.
- Ability to work independently, as a highly energetic individual.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, writing, and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated record of proficiency in the use of contemporary technological marketing applications including social networking media.
- Ability to understand and communicate university policies and procedures.
- Previous guidance counselor experience.
- Previous sales or marketing experience.
- Previous experience in an institution of education.
- Knowledge of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline to apply is August 25, 2021. The review of applications will begin August 26, 2021.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend