Research Development Manager
Job no: 509356
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Research Development Manager
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Office of Research & Economic Development
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 15
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 3.1
JOB CODE: 043
REPORTS TO: Vice Provost, Research & Economic Development
SUPERVISES: May oversee students and administrative staff
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: This position supports the Vice Provost for Research and Academic Affairs (VPRAA) in strategic, proactive and capacity building activities designed to facilitate individual faculty members, teams of researchers and administrators in in attracting research funding, creating relationships and developing and implementing strategies to increase institutional research competitiveness. The incumbent will lead the Office of Research Development as a University resource for exploring new funding opportunities, assisting individual and groups of faculty in developing proposals, communicating and coordinating with federal and state funding agencies, foundations, industry, and partnering Universities and research laboratories. The incumbent will interact with individual faculty and teams to promote fundable projects; will research and identify possible funding agencies and develop relationships with key funders; and will develop concepts for proposals, and assist faculty members in preparing the academic content of grants. The incumbent will also serve as a catalyst for development of internal and external collaborations across colleges and departments and with other universities and institutes.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop new research partnerships with government laboratories, industry, UMass campuses and other institutions of higher education.
- Research and identify funding opportunities across disciplines, follow that with putting together a team of researchers and assist in the development a strong proposal.
- Assist with the development of budgets and other non-technical content for proposals.
- Identify and promote current and future opportunities from federal and state funding agencies, private industry, and foundations.
- Develop and implement metrics for faculty and campus research productivity, including use of research networking tools.
- Promote campus research activities through internal and external workshops and colloquia.
- Market faculty research expertise to external funders, potential partners, UMass community, foundations and industry
- Generate special reports for the VPRAA on research matters
- Serve as the liaison with Advancement in foundation funding
- Manage internal grant programs such as Multidisciplinary Seed Fund Program, the Summer Faculty Scholarship Program, Healey and Public Service grants.
- Organize selection process for applicants to limited submission opportunities.
- Represent the VPRAA at meeting with potential sponsors and partners.
- Manage funding opportunity database, distributing opportunities, curating opportunity lists, training faculty, analyzing metrics to increase and improve use.
- Manage tracking system for faculty and campus research productivity measures.
- Contribute to campus and system wide committees including implementation and upgrades of electronic grant systems.
- Implement web-based promotion of research to internal and external audiences
EDUCATION: Masters Degree
EXPERIENCE: Significant (over 5 years) experience coordinating sponsored research activities. Previous proposal, grant writing or project management experience.
OTHER: Flexible schedule and regional travel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to prioritize and work under pressure in a deadline oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written communication skills across a variety of situations and media (training sessions, committee meetings, speeches, publications, websites)
- Ability to act with discretion, maintain confidentiality and communicate and function calmly in situations requiring tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to research and identify funding opportunities across disciplines.
- Demonstrated high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a varied, high-level constituency and establish and cultivate positive working relationships with external sponsor agencies, faculty and staff.
- Computer proficiency with MS applications, database management, and proposal submission portals
Significant experience in academic or biomedical research institution
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional reference.
The deadline to apply is September 15, 2021. The review of resumes will be September 16, 2021.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend