Postdoctoral Fellow - GRANT-FUNDED
Job no: 509345
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS DARTMOUTH
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Postdoctoral Fellow DIVISION: Academic Affairs
WORKING TITLE: Postdoctoral Fisheries Researcher SCHOOL: Fisheries Oceanography
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Non-Unit EEO STATUS: 35
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Dr. Kevin Stokesbury
SUPERVISES: Graduate and undergraduate research assistants
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The postdoctoral fellow will collaborate with scientists at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, NOAA Northeast Fisheries Science Center, and other related research institutes and companies to develop and apply statistical models to fisheries research data, specifically that of the US scallop and groundfish fisheries, as well as offshore wind. The candidate will provide leadership to members of the lab and assist other researchers with their specific projects. The postdoc will take a lead role in the writing and publication of reports, peer-reviewed papers, and presentations at scientific meetings on the results of their research. The postdoc candidate will also assist the lab with any other projects as the discretion of the supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct laboratory, field, and computational research
- Participate in at-sea data collection
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis on drop camera survey design
- Conduct geostatistical analysis and multidimensional scaling of survey data
- Prepare final reports for research requirements
- Prepare and publish manuscripts
- Prepare proposals for grant funding opportunities
- Provide clear and regular communication to the supervisor on research progress
- Present work at conferences or program reviews
- Aid graduate and undergraduate research assistants in the academic objectives
- Provide training on research techniques and methods
- Interact with NOAA Northeast Fisheries Science Center, New England Fisheries Management Council, and other research institutes with regards to ongoing and proposed research projects
- Assist with outreach to promote research to the community
EDUCATION: PhD or equivalent in a related field, such as Fisheries Science, Biology, or Ecology.
EXPERIENCE: Experience and a corresponding publication and grant record
OTHER: Strong pedagogical skills, strong written and oral communications skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to effectively manage a small group of researchers
- Knowledge of fisheries management
- Experience with fisheries stock assessments
- A proficiency in statistical analysis and modeling specifically for commercially important shellfish species
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as evidenced through publications, composition of final reports, and presentations to a variety of audiences
- Ability to design and facilitate to completion original research ideas
- Previous work related to an area of research that aligns with the research goals of Dr. Kevin Stokesbury and the Marine Fisheries Field Research Group
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit online a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for up to three references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend