Club and Intramural Sports Director
Job no: 508822
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions, UPST
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Club and Intramural Sports Director
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU 15
JOB CODE: DA8724
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Athletics & Recreation
SUPERVISES: Work study students (10-15), graduate assistant (s), intern (s), part-time club sport coaches/instructors (10-15)
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $59,622
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Club and Intramural Sports Director will be directly responsible for the administration, organization, supervision, evaluation, and development of comprehensive and thriving club and intramural sport programs for the UMassD campus. This position oversees the operational, financial and personnel functions of the club and intramural sports programs and serves as the primary contact and administrator for the programs. Club sports has a range of competitive and instructional clubs with several hundred participants while the Intramural Sports program has sports offered throughout the year in both competitive and recreational formats. The incumbent will be responsible for expanding activity offerings in line with University needs and industry trends. The Director will deliver programming that promotes student engagement and supports the campus goals of enrollment, engagement, and retention.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee a comprehensive club sports program including risk management protocols; active recruitment, student engagement, retention, and mentoring of club leaders; assisting clubs leaders with fiscal procedures; and provide guidance and learning opportunities for club sports leaders and participants, including conducting regular meetings with club officers.
- Advise and provide leadership development and mentorship to all club officers to assist them in the administration of individual club activities, and adherence with campus, conference and governing bodies' policies.
- Educate all club sport team representatives on departmental, conference, university, state, and federal policies and laws (ex. hazing, fundraising, branding, scheduling).
- Attend student sporting functions and meetings to maintain effective liaison image and visibility.
- Meet with students interested in forming new sports club (s), create a process for doing so, provide assistance and guidance where needed, help implement new clubs, then supervise and maintain it as with the others.
- Administer program policies, procedures, and protocols (sport rules, staff manuals, program handbooks), framed around fostering relationships with participants and campus partners, developing excellence among student staff, and aligning with University, student standards, and conduct policies.
- Coordinate and oversee a risk management plan pertinent to club and intramural sports activities in order to ensure compliance with industry standard of care. Execute, collect and maintain all necessary forms (ex. liability waivers, insurance, scheduling contracts, accident reports, etc.)
- Support and provide significant and high-quality opportunities in a variety of club sport and indoor and outdoor intramural activities to satisfy the diverse needs of all students. This may include team and individual/dual sport activities/tournaments/leagues including fitness challenges for students and faculty/staff.
- Maintain records relative to participation for alumni records and annual reporting.
- Coordinate club team efforts in fundraising for supplemental funding (ex. Giving Day, Corsair Challenge).
- Coordinate the facility preparation for home club and intramural sports events and weekly practice schedules.
- Work with club sports teams on community service initiatives and ensure compliance with annual trainings.
- Oversee and manage club and intramural sport budgets to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Work in cooperation with department and student government to recognize and fund club sports.
- Maintain short and long-term goals for both the club and intramural sports programs. Conduct regular surveys to determine student interests.
- Plan, coordinate, advertise, and administer all aspects of intramural sports programming.
- Establish annual programmatic goals and generate annual participation reports for clubs and intramurals.
- Establish a student Advisory Board that meets regularly to discuss recommendations for programming.
- Utilize social media to promote offerings, and software (ex. IM Leagues) for registration, standings, weekly announcements, etc.
- Responsible for the purchase, inventory, and maintenance of equipment.
- Collaborates with university departments to promote clubs sports and intramural programming.
- Hire, train, and assign work study students, convey expectations and job duties, track student hours worked, and approve time.
- Serve as an administrator on duty at varsity spring contests.
- Assist with the supervision of summer field rentals.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION:Bachelor’s Degree; Current national certification in CPR/AED and First Aid Training.
- Demonstrated experience (3-5 years) in administering all aspects of club and intramural sport programming.
- Demonstrated experience (3-5 years) working within a collegiate athletic department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Attention to detail and the ability to multitask are a must, as well as strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, including a high level of oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic safety and risk management as they relate to club and intramural sports.
- Highly organized with knowledge of programming and administering intramurals and club sports necessary.
- Knowledge of Microsoft word and excel spreadsheets.
- The successful candidate will be a team- player and will have a commitment to the goals and mission of the department.
- Strong interest and involvement in sporting activities.
- Regularly communicates with internal and external constituents using in-person, writing, website, and social media.
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Knowledge of student development and ability to lead staff are required.
- Regularly faces situations that require good judgment and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to earn respect of students and exercise authority and leadership when dealing with student sporting groups
- High level organization skills.
- A high level of skill in the use of word processing, spreadsheets and Internet applications.
- Be self-motivated and possess the ability to work as part of a productive and cohesive team.
- Able to work weekends and varied hours.
- Capacity to work cooperatively with other operational areas of the University to achieve outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to cope with conflicting departmental demands.
- Willingness to adjust hours to participate in activities outside normal working hours.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to relate effectively with college students
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation
- Master’s Degree
- Knowledge of scheduling software (IM Leagues) and website management.
- Proficiency and familiarity with marketing through social media platforms.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline to apply is July 20, 2021. The review of applications will begin July 21, 2021.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend