Sr. Budget Analyst
Job no: 508115
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Administrative & Office Support
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Senior Budget Analyst
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
DEPARTMENT: Budget Department
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 14
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 3.1
JOB CODE: 084
REPORTS TO: Budget Director
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: ESU Salary Ranges
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Senior Budget Analyst assists in the administration of the campus operating budget throughout the annual budget cycle. This includes preparing routine and ad-hoc reports and analysis of financial results and developing and maintaining the necessary information resources (both computerized and non- computerized). The incumbent works closely with campus departments and may interact with the President’s Office and other financial staff. Provides financial management information to the Budget Director in support of University short and long term financial planning activities/goals. The incumbent may be assigned a specific area of responsibility such emphasis on the budget of a specific department or division. The incumbent works as part of a budget team to provide timely and accurate analysis and information as well as excellent customer service.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates and collaborates with each assigned department regarding all budget issues including but not limited to development, projections, tracking and monitoring of budgets. Retain, review, and maintain related documentation.
- Participates in the annual campus based internal budget process and assists in the development of annual operation’s budgets using historical expenditure levels and overall budgetary constraints, and other methodologies developed by the Administrative and Fiscal Services department.
- Compiles and analyzes internal budget submissions.
- Serves as the primary contact and resource for the University budget system. Work with the system office to develop, test, implement and maintain the system going forward. This can include, but not limited to, system enhancements, develop new features, troubleshoot and problem solve and campus training. Works independently to ensure system is reflecting accurate data.
- Oversees and participates in the input of internal budgets to computerized accounting system.
- Serves as campus resource for budget issues.
- Seeks ways to improve processes and use resources more efficiently.
- Verifies the accuracy of, and interprets financial data through the use of computer systems and in consultation with campus and central administration financial and budget staff.
- Gather information and prepare analyses for presentation to management on historical budget, financial and other information.
- Tracks operational, special account and capital budgets. Produces monthly budgetary reports showing departmental performance using PeopleSoft and other Commonwealth and/or other University budget systems. Alerts Budget Director and works with cost center managers in areas where over expenditures are being incurred.
- Prepares standard and ad hoc management reports.
- Participates in the development of external financial reports.
- Assists in the development of management narratives and statistical reports.
- Prepares and delivers oral presentations when necessary.
- Analyzes monthly financial reports and prepares executive level summary for management.
- Develops moderately complex financial reports for forecasting, trending, and results analysis. Analyzes complex financial data and extracts and defines relevant information, interprets data for the purpose of determining past financial performance and/or to project financial forecasts.
- Prepare cost studies to identify implications of budget assumptions.
- Performs fiscal and statistical analysis of key aspects of university budgets as needed.
- Researches and interprets forecasts, determines financial implications and impacts on the organization.
- Analyzes budget patterns and project expenditures.
- Develop & maintain databases for completing, summarizing, reviewing, tracking, and reporting information at account, department, campus, and University levels and to monitor actual performance against budgets.
- Maintain and review budget data on University financial systems (PeopleSoft Financial, Summit, UM Plan and Human Resources Systems).
- Collaborates with other professional and classified staff on system related issues.
- Provide campus wide training relating to University Financial Systems, and other University business models as needed.
- Participates in the formulation of budget policies and procedures.
- Recommends changes to existing and approved policies designed to meet purchasing requirements and to deal with various operating needs and compliance with campus and State policies and procedures.
- Develop standard operating procedures for assigned duties.
- Work with IT staff to implement program modifications.
- Prepare and enter journal/ledger entries as needed.
- Oversees ongoing budget transactions for campus.
- Review budget requests for accuracy and compliance with applicable laws, gather and analyze data on organizational operations and spending, and develop budget recommendations for senior management.
Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree
EXPERIENCE: Significant (over five years) progressively responsible experience developing, projecting, analyzing, and monitoring budgets of large institutions.
OTHER: Must be available to work evenings or weekends as projects dictate. Minimum travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of advanced budgeting and accounting principles.
- Proficiency with business software applications (spreadsheet development and use of complex formulae, graphics, word processing).
- Ability to become proficient in other microcomputer applications (databases and data retrieval and reporting software).
- Knowledge of NACUBO guidelines
- Ability to integrate technology into accounting and budget management processes.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently according to priority.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Financial Modules.
- Experience in a public institution of higher education.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline to apply is May 17, 2021. The review of applications will begin May 18, 2021.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend