OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Athletic Communications Director
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat 14
EEO STATUS: 3.2
JOB CODE: 272
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Athletics
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $ https://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmouth/human-resources/policieslawsunion-contracts/ESU-Salary-Range-2018-2019.pdf
SUPERVISES: Supervise, hire, and train sports information personnel (ie. Game broadcasters, statisticians, public address announcers, part-time staff and student event workers) who will assist in performing the daily operations of the Athletic Communications office.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Promotes and publicizes all facets of the Athletic Department to internal and external constituencies to heighten awareness and gather support for its 17 intercollegiate programs. Designs and writes brochures, game programs and newsletters; overseeing the University athletics web site; reporting results to local and regional media; compiling team statistics and records; and assisting with game day operations. Plans, implements and supervises the operation of the Athletic Communications Office. Follow the University's best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, implement, and oversee a comprehensive Athletic Communications Office through the promotion of 17 intercollegiate athletic programs by utilizing traditional and new media strategies.
- Act as the liaison between the athletic department and local, regional, and national media outlets through the distribution of press releases (ex. recaps, features), reporting accurate scores and statistics, and coordinating interviews for coaches and student-athletes.
- Play a predominant role in the game-day experience by attending home athletic contests to provide in-game statistics (Stat Crew, NCAA LiveStats), live video broadcasts, game & score graphics, post-game interviews, photography coverage (ex. action photos), social media updates, and other new media initiatives.
- Manage the official athletics web site, video broadcast platform, and social media streams (ex. Instagram, Twitter, YouTube).
- Serve as the primary contact for reporting rosters, schedules, statistics, and award nominations to the conference office, NCAA, and other coaches’ organizations to promote student-athletes, programs, and department.
- Promote student-athletes for local, regional, and national recognition.
- Produce all department publications, including media guides, brochures, game programs, schedule posters, departmental event programs, and other written promotional materials.
- Recruit, select, schedule, train, and supervise staff in Athletic Communications coverage and assignments.
- Serve as the athletics historian recording game, season, and career statistics; upload rosters and statistical data into the career reports function of the Automated Scorebook (Stat Crew).
- Maintain frequent communication with coaches, student-athletes, and media.
- Coordinate all photography aspects of the department to assure head shots are taken and posted in a timely manner and game action photos are taken for all sports.
- Monitor and produce data on web analytics including broadcast and digital media traffic.
- Participate in a weekly Athletic Facilities meeting to review game management needs for upcoming events.
- Coordinate all game day staff related to Athletic Communications operations.
- Coordinate all external contacts and other media coverage as per athletic and university policy.
- Manage the Athletic Communications budget for per diem staff, production supplies, software upgrades, etc.
- Select and maintain inventory (ex. video cameras, lenses, computers, etc.).
- Represent the Athletic Department in campus wide projects and committees.
- Assist the Associate Director of Athletics with Alumni/Advancement projects. (ex. Giving Day, Corsair Challenge). Collect and produce content throughout the year to be used in campus initiatives.
- Work to generate and promote campus support for intercollegiate programs. Meet regularly with the UMassD Marketing staff.
- Assist with the coordination of the annual Corsair Hall of Fame and Corsair Athletics Recognition Dinner.
- Perform other administrative duties as requested by supervisor.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated experience (over 3 years) in a sports information/athletic communications office, in a college/university athletic department.
OTHER: Frequent evening and weekend hours and travel are required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong computer skills including web site management, statistical programs including Automated Scoreboard, and proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop (or similar applications). Ability to learn other Adobe Creative Suite Programs.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, solid writing ability.
- Ability to work with diverse populations (students, coaches, media, etc.)
- In depth understanding of collegiate sports and the NCAA D-III philosophy.
- Knowledge and ability to implement University, Conference, and NCAA policies and procedures.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain favorable relations with internal (Advancement, Marketing), and external community groups.
- Able to provide supervision to student workers, graduate assistants, and other part-time personnel.
- Experience in a multi-sport broad based athletic program.
- Experience in web site maintenance/design.
- Experience in graphic design.
- Master's degree.
- Adobe Creative Cloud.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internals to apply is May 6, 2021.
The review of applications will begin May 7, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.