Job no: 506696
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
DIVISION: Academic and Student Affairs
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 11
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 32
JOB CODE: 2000
REPORTS TO: Director of Admissions
MINIMUM SALARY:ESU Salary Ranges
(Note: Salary shown is subject to decrease per the terms of the Memorandum of Agreement signed between the union and University administration on 9/24/2020. This decrease will be in effect for the period of 9/27/2020 - 7/2/2021, after which time the salary will be adjusted back to this full rate.)
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Admissions Counselor is responsible for presenting the University to prospective students in a variety of settings utilizing recruitment and communications techniques that most effectively engage contemporary college-bound students. It is expected that the Admissions Counselor will travel extensively (7-9 consecutive weeks during the fall semester and 2-3 weeks during the spring) to visit high schools, community colleges, attend college fairs, and host off-campus recruitment programs sponsored by UMass Dartmouth. Extensive pre-travel communication and follow-up with all prospective students requires a thorough understanding of and fluency in modern communication techniques including use of social networking sites; blogging; web-based video presentation; broadcast text messaging and a range of web-based marketing techniques. The Counselor is expected to conduct on-campus recruitment activities, participate in major campus visit programs and other Programs sponsored by Academic Affairs. Having the ability to relate in a positive and compelling manner with college bound students by using media and communication techniques that resonate with the University’s largely traditionally aged high school student market share is essential to success in this role.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Travels extensively as assigned by the Director in the effort to meet the institution’s recruitment goals
- Utilizes social networking, technologically based recruitment techniques and other web-oriented modes of engaging prospective students in ongoing dialog about the UMass Dartmouth student experience.
- Conducts group information sessions and interviews for students visiting the campus.
- Assists in the implementation of on- and off-campus programs designed for recruitment and yield enhancement.
- Counsels and corresponds with prospective students and their families using a range of traditional and contemporary communication tools.
- Represents the University at college fairs, college nights, open houses and other recruiting programs.
- Develops working relationships with representatives of high schools, community colleges and other education institutions to facilitate enrollment at UMass Dartmouth.
- Conducts a preliminary review of applications for freshman and transfer admissions.
- Participates in Programs sponsored by Academic Affairs.
- Assists in the oversight of recruitment activities that provide outreach to prospective students (i.e. tour guide program, multicultural recruitment, other related programs, etc.).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
EXPERIENCE: Previous (over one year) experience working and communicating with prospective students in various admissions and/or recruitment aspects. Utilization of contemporary web-based marketing techniques.
OTHER: The position requires extensive travel throughout the region, including overnight. Evening and weekend hours are required to successfully perform the duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong understanding of the undergraduate student academic and social cultures.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, writing, and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated record of proficiency in the use of contemporary technological marketing applications including social networking media.
- Ability to understand and communicate university policies and procedures.
- Previous sales or marketing experience.
- Previous experience in an institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- Previous experience in a college/university admission setting.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNALS to apply is November 24, 2020.
The review of applications will begin November 25, 2020.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend