Assistant Director of Admissions-Law School
Job no: 506484
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Assistant Director of Law School Admissions
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Admissions Law School
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 14
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 3.1 JOB CODE: 014
REPORTS TO: Assistant Dean of Law School Admissions
SUPERVISES: Exercises supervision over Law School Admissions administrative clerical staff.
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: ESU Salary Range
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Assistant Director of Law School Admissions is a key member of the University of Massachusetts School of Law Admissions Team. This position is primarily responsible for the day-to-day operations of the law school admissions office regarding application processing, data management and recruitment. The Assistant Director works with the Assistant Dean of Law School Admissions in all phases of the team’s recruitment plan and acts on behalf of the Assistant Dean in his/her absence. The Assistant Director assists with the counseling of prospective students, oversees the application review process, maintains accurate data and prepares information and statistical reports. The Assistant Director also helps maintain contacts with various internal and external constituents and assists with the planning for all short- and long-term goals and objectives of the Admissions Office. This includes attendance at Law and Grad Fairs as well as attendance at LSAC Law Forums throughout the country. The Assistant Director will work with vendors, setting up advertisements relating to the recruitment and marketing plan and co-ordinate tours of the law school. The Assistant Director will also help maintain contacts with various constituents throughout the University and School of Law and will assist with the planning for all short and long term goals and objectives of the Admissions Office.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise, interview and counsel prospective students from their initial contact through matriculation, including but not limited to; admissions requirements, providing ethical and accurate enrollment options and program information, transferability of credits, identifying potential barriers within the admissions process and initiating steps resulting in resolution, and providing information on University policies, practices and rules by using judgment and discretion
- Execute all application processing, including creating, maintaining, and reconciling application records throughout the application and enrollment cycles, in the University’s enterprise resource planning system and admissions database. Ensure standards are enforced and all information is accurate, consistent and complete
- Train and assist faculty and staff to read applications online and manage the application flow among admissions and scholarship committee members
- Make determinations on the need for further review of applicant’s Character and Fitness for the study of law as well as the necessity for applications to be sent for additional review by the law faculty admissions committee
- Serve as primary liaison with LSAC on issues relating to the admissions database, updates to the electronic application and the paperless admission process
- Manage the law school recruitment program to include developing the travel calendar, coordinating on- and off-campus outreach and pipeline activities, supervising and training student and seasonal recruiters, obtaining participants for recruitment and yield events
- Represent the school at recruitment events, both on and off campus
- Assist with the conceptualization, development and implementation of recruitment and marketing initiatives to optimize law school enrollment targets
- Help with maintaining the partnership with the Publications Office for marketing and promotional campaigns.
- Collaborate with other law school departments, including the Law Enrollment Center, Financial Aid, Dean of Students and Academic Support to create all official correspondence to prospects, applicants and matriculants.
- Formulate of criteria and extract data from the Admissions database to execute Candidate Referral Searches (CRS). Analyze and extract database information for status reports, annual recruitment reports, and recruitment calendar.
- Create multiple email communications for each type of prospect. Create and run reports to generate and schedule emails using the CRS and report functionalities on the Admissions database. Manage and coordinate the mailing of print materials to prospective students.
- Extract, compile and/or assess data and develop recurring and ad-hoc informational and/or statistical reports as assigned or in response to special requests to support the Dean, Admissions Committee, faculty and other staff and administrators in completing studies, making decisions, devising strategic plans and meeting external reporting requirements
- Act as a liaison with internal and external constituents for department enhancement: Graduate Studies Office, International Office, University Information Technology Services (UITS), Pre-law Advisors, Law School Admissions Council (LSAC)
- Serve on committees, work groups, and task forces as assigned
- Assess applications for admissions and coordinates appropriate follow-up contact.
- Represent the school at recruitment events, both on and off campus
- Collaborate with Law School Faculty, Administration, and Staff to assemble current information pertaining to the Law School programs and curricula for use in marketing materials distribution
- Actively engage in the activities of relevant professional organizations. Engage in professional development opportunities such as conferences and workshops, especially as they relate to recruitment and admissions policies and procedures
- Assist in creating, designing, and implementing on-campus and off-campus programs and presentations for recruitment and yield enhancement: Accepted Student Session, Pre-law Presentations, Student Tel-a-Thon, Open Houses.
- Manage external consultants and vendors to ensure timely production of projects for all marketing materials.
- Assist with the oversight of the design and production of recruitment and marketing materials and up-date all admissions publications
- Assist with the launching of marketing projects for the development of the Law School’s website and Viewbook
- Assist with the editing of copy on various publications and materials.
- Assist the Admissions Committee with application reviews including transcript assessments
- Integrate with all Law School Student Service Departments to provide comprehensive student support
- Assist with the University relationships for the 3+3 and joint degree programs: JD/MBA, JD/MPP, JD/MSWPerform related duties as assigned
- Perform related duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated professional experience (3 years or more) in higher education administering and managing programs and services pertaining to law school admissions, enrollment or support. Expertise with LSAC and ACES database, or similar software.
OTHER: Flexible schedule (including weekend work) and off-campus travel as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent interaction, communication, and management skills and ability to exercise judgment and leadership in working with students, faculty, staff and external officials
- Knowledgeable about current practices and procedures for admissions at the professional school level in relation to legal education
- Strong skills in development and maintenance of procedural systems, communication systems, and information systems (PeopleSoft, ACES, SUMMIT, Salesforce, or related software)
- Ability to work independently under general guidance
- Ability to use computing software packages including word processing, spread sheets, databases, and customer relationship management (CRM) software, and to work with a comprehensive student information system to produce analyses and reports and/or for recruitment purposes.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information in a professional and respectful manner at all time. Knowledge and understanding of FERPA rules
- Excellent written communication skills to create, prepare, proofread and edit clear and concise, grammatically correct business correspondence
- Strong oral communication and presentation skills, with ability to communicate and present positive information about the University of Massachusetts School of Law in a professional, persuasive and effective manner
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential information
- J.D. or a master’s degree in marketing, public administration or related field from an accredited institution and minimum of five years of professional experience in a law school admissions department.
- Demonstrated skills in examining and evaluating operations and developing and/or re-engineering operating strategies, systems and procedures
- Knowledge of higher education marketing trends, student recruitment and retention issues as they relate to legal education
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNALS to apply is October 27, 2020. The review of applications will begin October 28, 2020.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend