OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Nurse Practitioner (39 week position*)
*Time off will be between May and August
DIVISION: Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Health Services
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 15
EEO STATUS: 36
JOB CODE: 3258
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Student Health Services
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: Salary Information (Salary will be prorated)
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Provides basic and advanced practice nursing care to UMass Dartmouth students, including evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of patients’ illness and injuries.
Follows the University's best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains a clinical practice relative to the University population.
- Provides a comprehensive physical assessment and evaluation that may include many differential diagnoses.
- Obtains health history and performs examination according to chief complaint.
- Recommends a treatment plan and re-evaluation.
- Determines when a referral is necessary and follows up on referrals.
- Orders and interprets x-ray and lab tests, and follows up with patients regarding results.
- Orders physical therapy, sleep studies or other necessary treatment for specific problems.
- Provides specialty physical examinations such as athletic physicals and gynecological examinations.
- Provides support and participates in health promotion and disease prevention program
- Provides telephone consultation.
- Documents patient visits and telephone consultation in EMR.
- Prescribes and/or dispenses over-the-counter, non-controlled and controlled medications per state and department guidelines. Maintains state and federal licensure to prescribe medications and narcotics.
- Uses appropriate precautions when exposed to bodily fluids or potentially contagious patients.
- Engages in professional development relevant to adolescent and adult healthcare.
- Participates in quality assurance projects, including but not limited to chart and peer review.
- Collaborates with Nurse Practitioners and consulting physician in developing protocols and guidelines for practice.
- Maintains national NP certification, Massachusetts NP license as well as CPR certification.
- Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Required):
EDUCATION: Master’s Degree in Nursing or DNP.
EXPERIENCE: Significant experience (over 5 years) as Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner with adolescent and/or adult populations
OTHER: Massachusetts Nurse Practitioner License, certification as Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated physical assessment proficiency
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work and communicate with a diverse student population and with other health care professionals
- Proficient in the use of Electronic Health Records
- Medical/surgical experience
- College health experience
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants to apply is October 8, 2020
The review of applications will begin October 9, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.