SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: To provide instruction in a six-week summer residential program to students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds and seek to promote the total growth of the student as a primary objective.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and teach high school level curriculum in appropriate subject matter.
- Plan and Develop pre and post testing in your specialized field.
- Provide tutorial assistance to students.
- Document and Prepare written reports on student’s progress.
- Enforce all Upward Bound rules and regulations.
- Assist in supervision at program events and activities.
- Assist the director with other functions as required for program effectiveness.
- Participate in teacher orientation prior before summer program.
- Attend weekly 1-hour staff meetings.
- Complete a final evaluation for each student.
- Other program related duties, as assigned by the Director.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (REQUIRED):
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in respective discipline.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of successful teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
OTHER: Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of low-income students and disadvantaged youth. Position starts on June 22, 2020 – July 24, 2020. Teaching responsibilities consist of teaching 4 days a week and up to 4 subjects in respective discipline.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Ability to develop and teach high school level classes in respective discipline.
2. Ability to tutor students.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
4. Proven ability to effectively manage a classroom of “at risk” students.
5. Demonstrated strong academic preparation for relevant field of instruction.
6. Familiarity with the Massachusetts Core Standards preferred, or a willingness to be acquainted with standards.
1. Familiarity dealing with students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds.
2. Massachusetts Teacher Certification
3. Teaching experience, preferably with urban youth and those with disparate learning needs.
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Teacher English
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $380.00 per week
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Upward Bound and Program Coordinator
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit online a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for professional references.
The review of applications will begin February 6, 2020 and continue until filled.