OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Director of Media Relations
DIVISION: University Advancement
DEPARTMENT: University Marketing
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Non-Unit Professional
EEO STATUS: 31
JOB CODE: 0060
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice Chancellor for Marketing & Communication
SUPERVISES: Social media manager and part-time student interns/ employees
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Office of University Marketing is responsible for promoting the University to the campus, prospective students and families, alumni, granting institutions, legislators and the general public. In addition, the office manages campus-based projects and initiatives to accomplish the University’s strategic objectives. The Director of Media Relations promotes the University to internal and external audiences by handling media requests, writing press releases and news articles, managing the University’s social media effort, establishing and maintaining relationships with media representatives and coordinating press conferences and other events. The Director will provide key leadership in creating and executing effective strategies to generate awareness, create and distribute content, as well as build and influence action amongst internal and external UMass Dartmouth constituencies. The Director also serves as a University spokesperson. The Director is responsible for conceiving, coordinating and implementing media relations, strategic communication, advocacy, and community relations and policy strategies that advance the University’s mission. As such, the incumbent is a confidential employee as defined in MGL Chapter 150E, Section 1.
- Work with the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for University Marketing, directors, and executive directors to develop and implement effective communications strategies for the University.
- Establish and maintain relationships with print, broadcast and web-based media to achieve positive coverage of the University’s students, faculty, staff and programs. Develop press releases and other materials and pitching articles to support those efforts. Manage University social media channels to distribute university messages.
- Collaborate with media relations staff, to help ensure that the University successfully informs the public of the activities, achievements and accomplishments of the campus.
- Field media calls and public information requests, including facilitating faculty, staff and student media responses and serving as a University spokesperson. Write and issue official statements on behalf of the University to the media.
- Write briefings and talking points for students, faculty and administrators for media relations activities and events. Advise faculty, staff and administrators on effective media strategies.
- Coordinate press conferences and assist in the planning and execution of other University events.
- Serve as one of the University’s emergency communications personnel, including handling official notifications to the campus, and as primary media contact in crises.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of procedures that result in well-coordinated responses to unexpected events and crisis.
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and provide assistance when needed.
- Ensure optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
- Maintain an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or a related field.
EXPERIENCE: Significant (over 5 years) experience in journalism or media relations.
OTHER: Position involves being on-call after hours to respond to media inquiries. Occasional day travel required for meetings or conferences. Requires some work on evenings and weekends for events and other University functions and projects. Local and regional travel required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to make decisions regarding response to media questions, in promoting University events and personnel and delivering the University’s message and goals to the media.
- Ability to develop and implement a crisis communication plan.
- Ability to use a combination of well-established methods and different procedures that can be developed and adapted in response to quickly changing, deadline situations.
- Ability to stay knowledgeable of current and emerging local, state and national higher education issues and trends.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Master’s Degree in related field
- Proven management ability
- Familiarity or experience with higher education
- Experience working as part of a team
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin March 4, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.