OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Internet Systems Developer/Web Designer
DIVISION: University Advancement
DEPARTMENT: University Marketing
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 13
EEO STATUS: 37
JOB CODE: 1030
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Web Systems and Communication
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $ https://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmouth/human-resources/policieslawsunion-contracts/ESU-Salary-Range-2018-2019.pdf
SUPERVISES: Provides functional supervision of student employees as assigned.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Internet Systems Developer/Designer works as a member of University Marketing to design, develop, implement, maintain and improve the performance of the UMass Dartmouth website, CRM communications, university intranet/portal site, and other web-based systems. This position provides both web development and design support. Works with faculty, staff, students, and other constituencies, independently and within a team environment, in close cooperation with Computing and Information Technology Services (CITS) to develop and implement the university’s web communications and its web-based systems.
Follow the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Gather requirements from university staff. Work closely with Web Development team members to implement site updates ensuring information is accurate and well presented. This process could include wireframes, workflows, prototypes, project plan, site architecture, etc.
- Responsible for functional user interface of public-facing website, utilizing content management system (currently TerminalFour) via templates, styles, navigation objects with the goal of an effective, responsive website serving the needs of the university’s audiences.
- Test and enhance website performance for mobile responsiveness, load time, browser compatibility, ADA Accessibility and other best practices.
- Design and develop email communications using university CRM systems. Support CRM users in email and form formatting, image formatting, and other needs. Recommend, compile and optimize images for use on website and in emails.
- Work closely with CITS on integrated systems.
- Work closely with CITS to ensure that marketing goals for user interface/user experience of university portal site (e.g. Liferay) are met.
- Using heuristic procedures, evaluate website user interface; collaborate with Web Development team and recommend/ implement user experience improvements.
- Recommend social media functionality as relevant to improving website or portal communications, to include feeds, widgets, API functionality, etc.
- Regularly review and maintain documentation outlining standards for CSS and HTML code and user interface web standards. Recommend new systems as appropriate.
- Stay current with web standards for coding and user interface design, as well as trends in higher education web communications.
- Actively participate in committees and meetings occurring on or off campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated (over three years) experience designing, developing and maintaining websites and integrated web-based systems.
- Previous experience developing websites using responsive design techniques.
- Previous experience developing and improving website usability.
OTHER: Must be available to respond to situations that arise during weekends or evenings. Some travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- High level of communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of campus and university constituents.
- Strong understanding of web-based user interface best practices.
- Ability to lead or work in a team environment.
- Ability to work on and prioritize multiple projects.
- Strong understanding of effective website architecture, user experience (UX), and intuitive navigational design.
- Experience with TerminalFour, Drupal, Wordpress, or other CMS systems
- Experience developing user-centered and/or responsive website
- Experience with Google Analytics or Google Developer
- Experience with news feeds including RSS
- Project management skills
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Experience with both Macintosh and Windows operating systems
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants to apply is January 13, 2020.
The review of applications will begin January 14, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.