Assistant / Associate Librarian (Technical Services)
Job no: 503223
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Assistant / Associate Librarian (Library Technical Services)
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
WORKING JOB TITLE: Tech Services Librarian
DEPARTMENT: (Law) Library
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: AFT Faculty Federation
EEO Status: 3.4
Job Code: 243
Reports To: Associate Dean of the Law Library
Supervises: Technical Services Paraprofessional
Minimum Salary for Assistant Librarian: $63,863
Minimum Salary for Associate Librarian: $74,789
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Technical Services Librarian is responsible for overseeing the technical services operations of the Law Library, including acquisitions, metadata/cataloging, electronic resources management, processing, serials, and collection maintenance. This position works collaboratively with the university library and regional library consortiums; consults on collection development policies and decisions; serves on law library and university committees; and participates in discussions and decision-making regarding library programs, services, operations, facilities, and policies. The position will also participate in some public/reference services by providing liaison services to assigned faculty members, and by participating in the evening/weekend rotation schedule.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the overall technical services operations of the Law Library, including the management of electronic resources;
- Monitors the technical services assistant, analyzes and designs efficient workflows;
- Catalogs library materials in accordance with national best practices and standards in law libraries nationally;
- Process library invoices, tracks and analyzes library budgets;
- Ensures library patron access to electronic resources by: facilitating the creation, maintenance, and enhancement of metadata across multiple discovery platforms and enhancing access to and discoverability of electronic resources; monitoring license agreements and electronic resource subscriptions; and establishing/monitoring trials of electronic resources and serving on library committees;
- Assists in planning, implementing, and evaluating library policies;
- Communicates with consortium members, library partners, vendors, and administration;
- Assists with reference services as a faculty liaison;
- Participates in the weekend/evening reference rotation;
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education or equivalent.
- Previous experience using cataloging standards and tools such as AACR2/RDA, LCC, LCSH, MAR21, FRBR, OCLC WorldCat, and OCLC Connection.
- Demonstrated knowledge of integrated library systems, resources discovery tools, link resolvers and proxy authentication systems;
- Demonstrated skills with metadata tools, bibliographic data, cataloging standards, and quality control, in both print and digital environments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated knowledge of concepts, principles and practice in library technical services, including MARC records and Library of Congress K schedule materials;
- Demonstrated and effective problem-solving skills;
- Proven capability for managing a variety of tasks and multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to learn new technologies and adapt to changes in the profession;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- JD degree from an ABA accredited law school, or an equivalent from a foreign law school;
- Previous experience or job skills that demonstrate knowledge of types and uses of legal materials and experience with bibliographic access to legal information;
- 1 to 2 years of prior work experience in a law, research, or academic library;
- Supervisory and leadership experience;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin October 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend