Social Media Manager
Job no: 503065
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Social Media Manager
DIVISION: University Advancement
DEPARTMENT: University Marketing
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat 12
EEO STATUS: 37
JOB CODE: 2860
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Integrated Media
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $ https://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmouth/human-resources/policieslawsunion-contracts/ESU-Salary-Range-2018-2019.pdf
SUPERVISES: Supervision over student workers or part-time employees
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Social Media Manager is responsible for maintaining all aspects of the university’s official presence on multiple social media channels. This role is a fundamental part of the digital communications team in University Marketing, which promotes the university to the campus, prospective students and families, alumni, granting institutions, legislators and the general public.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement social media strategy to support university mission and strategic marketing goals. Work closely with Public Affairs, Alumni, Enrollment Management, UMass president’s office, and University Marketing to support initiatives tailored to specific audiences such as prospective students and families, enrolled students and alumni.
- Create and implement engaging content, collaborating with designers and videographer as necessary. Coordinate the social media calendar across channels to ensure balance among competing priorities, consistency of message, voice and tone.
- Hire, direct, train and supervise student employees to support student-generated content development and digital strategy while maintaining brand message.
- Collaborates with administrators, faculty, staff and students; communicates with users on social media channels.
- Monitor and respond appropriately to user interactions in a timely manner, elevating concerns as appropriate.
- Place and track advertising on social media channels.
- Serve as an expert and resource for departments across campus, helping to hone their messages and improve their efforts.
- Identify trends, including new platforms with high potential, and act as an advocate for the audience; keep others informed of shifting user expectations and best practices across different social channels.
- Provide reports to track engagement across all channels, including specific campaigns, measure success and make recommendations.
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and provide assistance when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field
- Demonstrated (over three years) experience managing social media in a corporate or nonprofit environment.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years managing projects and/or staff.
- Over three years direct experience using social media management and analytics tools for posting, tracking, and reporting.
- Over three years’ experience with paid advertising on social media platforms, including Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Frequent travel between campuses and UMass Dartmouth sites.
- monitoring social media channels on nights and weekends is expected with occasional coverage of events outside of regular business hours.
- Flexible schedule required including nights and weekends.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to create inventive and effective marketing material
- Experience using social media platforms
- Demonstrated grasp of what makes content sticky/shareable/viral
- Ability to create highly engaging content using video and photos
- Understanding of marketing and advertising principles
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Excellent critical thinking and judgment
- Previous experience using social media for higher education or non-profit organization
- Knowledge of AP style
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internals to apply is October 29, 2019.
The review of applications will begin October 30, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend