OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Director of Alumni Relations
DEPARTMENT: Alumni Affairs
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 17
EEO Status: 31 JOB CODE: 0430
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice Chancellor of Strategic Events & Engagement
SUPERVISES: Provides direct supervision of interns, volunteers and work-study staff
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: https://www.umassd.edu/hr/policies-and-laws/union-contracts/
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Responsible for the development of relationships with and support from the University’s 50,000+ alumni. Plans, coordinates and implements alumni events, programs and initiatives in coordination with the Alumni Association and the UMassD staff. Maintains liaison between Alumni Office, Alumni Association, University Advancement and academic and administrative departments in a manner which is supportive of the University’s advancement, fund raising, admissions, career networking, student development and alumni relations goals.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans and implements alumni events, conferences and programs including, but not limited to, Homecoming, class & affinity reunions, regional activities, networking and social events, special events, student and campus activities, and volunteer opportunities in coordination with the Alumni Association Board of Directors (BOD) and the UMass Dartmouth staff
- Works with the Marketing and Communications office to produce alumni communications; release e-mail bulletins; and alert alumni to programs and opportunities through social media
- Assists the Institutional Advancement staff with fund raising through developing strategies as well as soliciting financial and non-financial support from alumni for the University
- Represents the University in various venues to cultivate individuals in hopes of securing current and future support in order to enhance the University’s mission
- Provides staff support to the Strategic Events & Engagement Office and the Alumni Association.
- Works with software data base systems, including Advance, Blackbaud, Microsoft Office and iModules
- Maintains computerized information database relating to all alumni-related records
- Functions as a liaison to the University’s alumni groups as well as the region’s municipalities, business and community organizations
- Develops and maintains comprehensive alumni volunteer organization
- Functions as a liaison to academic and service departments within the University
- Assists the BOD in administering a system for allocation and monitoring of Alumni Association-sponsored scholarships, gifts and grants
- Develops broad base of support, both on and off campus, for alumni events and programs
- Increases cooperation ventures and development opportunities between the University, its alumni and area businesses and communities
- Assists with preparation of meetings of the Alumni Association, its Board of Directors and its committees
- Develops and coordinates a Student Alumni Association to work with the Alumni Association to help promote pride, tradition and lifetime engagement with University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- Manages, maintains and effectively stewards the departmental budget
- Collaborate closely with development colleagues in increasing support from alumni; routinely identify and qualify alumni prospects for gifts; communicate development-related activities via written contact reports filed in Advance and periodic attendance at prospect management meetings
- Partner with Career Services to involve alumni in mentoring students and giving opportunities to students for internships and career-path employment
- Educate graduating students about alumni benefits and engage them in programs
- Partner with Director of Admissions to spearhead the introduction of alumni involvement in the admissions process
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
EXPERIENCE: Significant (over five years) of progressively responsible experience in alumni relations, special events, public affairs, relationship management or related field
OTHER: Weekend and evening hours required on occasion as projects dictate. Local, regional and national travel required.
- Master’s Degree
- Familiarity with UMass Dartmouth
- Experience with iModules and Blackbaud
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must have a proven track record of cultivating and facilitating relationships with and between alumni and have strong volunteer management skills (recruit and motivate volunteers)
- Experience with developing/implementing special events from concept development to implementation
- Ability to problem solve and set priorities and achieve timely progress toward goals is essential.
- Applicants must possess initiative, be detailed-oriented, creative, efficient and able to handle diversified tasks concurrently
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion while engaged with individuals and groups in personal interactions of a sensitive nature, along with the ability to reason logically and analyze and solve organizational and operating problems for one or several program areas.
- Demonstrate ability to operate with a high degree of independence, judgment, consistency, and discretion.
- Must be able to work as part of a dynamic team in a service-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communications skills, bother written and oral
- Experience with social media platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline is October 16, 2019. The review of applications will begin October 17, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.