Job no: 501356
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Network Engineer
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 13
DEPARTMENT: CITS – IT Infrastructure
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 37
JOB CODE: 1105
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Network Services
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: $https://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmouth/human-resources/policieslawsunion-contracts/ESU-Salary-Range-2018-2019.pdf.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: Works as a member of the Network & Telecommunications Team and is responsible for the deployment, management and maintenance of the network infrastructure as it relates to data (wired and wireless), telephony and security. Assists with the design, integration and management of these systems. Works closely with other teams within CITS as well as other departments to promote the efficient use of the University network and resources.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Install, manage and maintain routing and switching technologies.
- Install, manage and maintain wireless technologies.
- Maximize network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades, collaborating with WAN architects on network optimization.
- Assist in maintaining PCI compliance.
- Install, test and troubleshoot copper and fiber optic cable plant issues.
- Physical installation of network equipment (rack, stack and patch).
- Design, develop and manage hands-on IT Infrastructure deployments from start to finish.
- Support IT infrastructure installations, maintenance, upgrades, troubleshooting and moves/adds/changes.
- Utilize Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, and similar tools to log changes, develop documentation, and track cases for support purposes.
- Implement and manage IDS/IPS, firewalls and bandwidth optimization technologies.
- Implement and manage Network Access Control (NAC) technologies.
- Research and evaluate new technologies for purchase recommendations, including hardware, software and peripherals.
- Provide technical support for the main campus, satellite campuses and residence halls to include data networking, telephony, and related security technology.
- Assist in designing networks for new sites, new buildings as well as renovated spaces.
- Works with key vendors to keep current in technology for enhancements and capacity planning.
- Attend user group meetings, seminars and conferences as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree or 4 years of working experience supported by professional certifications in IT infrastructure administration such as network, telecommunications, or security technologies.
- Demonstrated (over three years) experience in managing and supporting large scale data networking, and security technologies.
- Demonstrated (over three years) experience implementing routing and switching technologies.
- Demonstrated (over three years) experience with configuring, managing and troubleshooting technologies & protocols such as OSPF, BGP, BFD, VRRP, VRF, VLANs.
- Experience with network diagnostic, monitoring and analysis tools.
- Experience with various versions of Windows, Mac and/or Linux Operating Systems as it pertains to network interoperability.
- Will need to be available for off-hours, evening and/or weekends as projects dictate, and on-call schedule during peak times.
- Will need to be accommodating to an offset schedule/varied shifts.
- Will need to lift and move technology equipment.
- Some travel will be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with administrators, faculty, staff, students, vendors/contractors and members of the community.
- Excellent technical and non-technical communication skills.
- Ability to make written and oral presentations clearly and effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work successfully in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
- Outstanding customer service orientation with attention to detail.
- Ability to create and maintain network documentation (i.e. network diagrams, implementation instructions, etc.)
- Significant (over five years) experience in managing and supporting large scale data networking and security technologies.
- Significant experience implementing routing and switching technologies.
- Experience with RADIUS, NAC, IDS/IPS and Firewall technologies.
- Experience implementing 802.1x authentication systems.
- Experience with connecting networks to cloud services such as Azure and AWS.
- Experience with VoIP telephony
- Experience with Enterasys, Extreme, Juniper, Checkpoint, and Exinda products.
- Experience working in higher education.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for Internal applicants to apply is August 6, 2019. The review of applications will begin August 7, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend