Associate Systems Administrator
Job no: 501355
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Associate Systems Administrator
DIVISION: Administration & Finance
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 12
DEPARTMENT: CITS – IT Infrastructure
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 37
JOB CODE: 1105
REPORTS TO: Director of IT Infrastructure
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY:https://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmouth/human-resources/policieslawsunion-contracts/ESU-Salary-Range-2018-2019.pdf
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Associate Systems Administrator will serve as a detail-oriented professional in the IT systems administration field who can work as technical liaison between the IT Service Center, Networking and Telecom and the Enterprise Systems teams. Support backend systems and applications for the IT Service Center and work closely with support staff. Assist and take functional direction from senior Windows and Unix system administrators, focused on highly virtualized server technology on premise as well as in private and public cloud environments. Responsible for physical and virtual upgrades, testing, backup/restore, scripting, and log analysis in support of the IT enterprise. Interact with campus community at large for server and application needs.
Follow the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze, log, track and resolve software and hardware matters of significance pertaining to networking connectivity issues, servers, and applications to meet business needs.
- Perform troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common system problems; document system events to ensure continuous functioning. Recommend courses of action and implement as approved.
- Upgrade system software and hardware components as required to meet business needs; coordinate backups. Ensure upgrades are occurring in accordance with established parameters.
- Coordinate the installation of client department specific applications and systems for academic and research needs. Determine appropriate method for installing applications and systems; resolve matters of significance and implement corrective course of action as needed.
- Responsible to install, test, upgrade and configure system files and services to enhance performance.
- Utilize Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, and similar tools to log changes, develop documentation, and track cases for support purposes.
- Assist with Microsoft Active Directory/LDAP integration, replication and troubleshooting for enterprise-wide systems (e.g. Identity Management.)
- Administer server maintenance and troubleshooting including existing domain controller migrations, user management, and access and resource sharing such as application, file and print sharing.
- Administer software deployment (e.g. SCCM) and support such as operating systems, enterprise anti-virus, security (host-based firewalls and logging), and other supported software.
- Support technologies for enterprise-class system backup and recovery technologies.
- Implement technologies supporting high availability, system monitoring (e.g. Nagios, log management), disaster recovery (DR) and business continuity (BC) procedures for supported systems.
- Attend user group meetings, seminars and conferences as appropriate.
- Integrate and support IT systems for compliance, policy enforcement and penetration testing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associates Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent degree.
- Demonstrated (three or more years) of experience with computer systems and networking.
- Experience with storage management and virtualization technologies.
- Experience with system automation/patching tools.
- Experience working with computer hardware for installation and upgrades
- Experience working with software installation/upgrading procedures
- Experience working with file and system maintenance procedures
OTHER:Will need to be available for off-hours, evening and/or weekends as projects dictate, and on-call schedule during peak times. Will need to lift and move technology equipment. Some travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Working knowledge of multiple server operating systems, storage management and virtualization (i.e. MS Windows Server, VMware, Azure) as well as Linux and Mac OS X.
- Working knowledge of scripting in Power Shell and Linux shells.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with IT support staff, administrators, faculty, staff, students, vendors and members of the community.
- Excellent technical and non-technical communication skills.
- Ability to make written and oral presentations clearly and effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work successfully in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to troubleshoot systems problems.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
- Aptitude for learning.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent degree.
- Current MSCA or equivalent certification for Windows Server and Active Directory.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for Internal applicants to apply is August 6, 2019. The review of applications will begin August 7, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend