OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Bursar
DIVISION: Administrative and Fiscal Services
DEPARTMENT: Bursar’s Office
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 18
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 1.4
JOB CODE: 080
REPORTS TO: Controller
SUPERVISES: Direct Supervision of Assistant Bursar with indirect supervision of staff reporting to Assistant Bursar
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Bursar is committed to ensuring financial integrity and fiduciary responsibility in all areas under the Bursar’s department while providing the highest level of professional, efficient and responsive customer service. The Bursar provides leadership, strategic planning and organizational direction of the office in support of the University’s mission, goals and objectives. The Bursar also provides expertise to the University’s senior leadership on policies and financial considerations.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide leadership, strategic planning and organizational direction of the office in support of the University’s mission, goals and objectives.
• Responsible for ensuring financial integrity and fiduciary responsibility in the billing, receipt, collection and deposit of all revenues, including student tuition and fees, room and board, reconciliation of receipts, disbursements and reporting for financial aid funds, mandatory health insurance (waivers), student loan collections and tax credit coordination.
• Serve as a visible resource to the campus community through regular and frequent interactions with students, parents, faculty and staff, campus departments, and other campus constituents.
• Provide expertise, recommendations, and resolutions on policies and financial considerations.
• Provide the highest level of professional, efficient and responsive customer service to all campus constituencies including students, university departments and external agencies.
• Provide strong leadership and direction to staff ensuring professional development and cross training.
• Develop new procedures and controls to ensure staff members comply with policies, procedures and practices. Ensures that processes and procedures are clearly defined, and staff has training and support needed to perform their roles effectively. Identify and implement staff development and opportunities.
• Develop creative solutions and systems to continuously improve the department for efficiency and effectiveness.
• Work collaboratively with university colleagues and constituents.
• Establish procedures and supervise the student account related activities performed by the University Enrollment Center, including, but not limited to payment processing, reconciliation and use of student financial system functionality.
• Develop internal controls, fiscal reporting and accountability for functions that reside with scope of responsibility.
• Responsible for the operating budget of the Bursar’s Department.
• Represent the University at professional meetings pertaining to Bursar related functions held by University of Massachusetts Treasurer’s Office as well as various external organizations.
• Perform additional duties as required.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
EXPERIENCE: Significant leadership experience (over 5 years) as a Bursar, or in the field of cash management or collections.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Exceptional management and leadership skills including the ability to oversee, motivate, and develop staff. • Knowledge of the methods and techniques involved with cash handling, collections, fund accounting and audit controls.
• Thorough understanding of technologies operating within a bursar department, collections, etc.
• Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
• Exceptional written and oral, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills; knowledge of business management principles, methods, and procedures.
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to implement technology solutions in support of customer service success.
• Demonstrated commitment to customer service with ability to exemplify judgment and tact in customer service personally, as a supervisor, and as a campus leader.
• Skill in monitoring/assessing the performance of self, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
• Ability to successfully communicate and work with faculty, students, staff, employers, and professionally represent the University to a variety of internal and external constituencies.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance
• Seven or more years’ related experience.
• Master’s degree in related field.
• Experience and knowledge of the student financial operations in higher education.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for internal applicants is April 3, 2019. The review of applicants will begin April 4, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.