OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Tutor Mentor
DIVISION: Academic Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
SALARY: $3,060.00 plus free room and board
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: JOB CODE:
REPORTS TO: Director, Program Coordinator, Residential Supervisor, and Assistant Residential Supervisor
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To provide tutoring; serve as classroom instructional aid; and supervise a residential suite of female high school students.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Tutor students individually and in groups in a variety of subjects
2. Teach study skills that assist students in preparation for postsecondary education.
3. Provide and maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning and retaining material studied.
4. Proactively organize programming to meet student’s emotional, social, behavioral, and developmental needs.
5. Monitor and participate in daily meals.
6. Provide supervision and assistance to students in library, lab, and study halls.
7. Assist students in developing and employing effective study techniques.
8. Monitor student progress with assignments.
9. Supervise study hours.
10. Supervise and reside in a residential suite of female high school students.
11. Assist in chaperoning all field trips, cultural and recreational activities.
12. Monitor student compliance with Program rules and regulations.
13. Assist residential staff in residential activities.
14. Other program related duties, as assigned.
15. On call for student needs during residential stay and rotating student supervision night shifts.
16. Remain highly visible to students and staff throughout the course of each day.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The Upward Bound Tutor Mentor must be a sophomore or higher in college and must demonstrate a mastery of the subject area which he or she is designated to tutor. The Tutor Mentor must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or above. It is required that he/she exhibits sensitivity toward Upward Bound participants. It is preferred that Tutor Mentors have experience in peer tutoring, mentoring, and demonstrate a potential for leadership.
EDUCATION: College student, sophomore or higher, GPA 2.7 or higher
OTHER: Ability to relate to students of diverse ethnic backgrounds
This is a live-in position for 7 weeks starting June 17, 2019 – August 2, 2019. Key component is tutoring in English/Math/Science & some mentoring.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Experience living or working in a dormitory.
2. Ability to relate to students of diverse ethnic backgrounds.
3. Familiarity with disadvantaged student populations.
4. Ability to provide a strong positive role model for students.
5. Ability to promote academic excellence.
6. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form.
NOTE: Other job-related duties and responsibilities may be assigned and/or the job description changed periodically to reflect changing organization needs.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references as well as transcript of current grades.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.