Coordinator of Advising Technical Services
Job no: 494507
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Coordinator of Advising Technical Services
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Advising, Support and Planning Office
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 14
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 3.7
JOB CODE: 100
REPORTS TO: Director of Advising, Support and Planning Office
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: https://www.umassd.edu/hr/policiesandlaws/unioncontracts/
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Coordinator of Advising Technical Services will provide programming and data base management to the Advising, Support and Planning Office as well as to the Sr. Coordinator of Transfer Students to establish efficient enrollment procedures to improve New Student Orientation as well as to facilitate the transfer of students to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. The incumbent will also work on developing data systems to track enrollment of new students. The incumbent will oversee the data management of the PeopleSoft electronic "Data Dictionary", an equivalency data base of courses offered at other institutions of higher education. The Coordinator of Advising Technical Services will collaborate with staff of the Registrar’s and Admissions Offices as well as with CITS to maintain accuracy of the Data Dictionary. The incumbent manages the University placement testing process for all incoming University new students as well as developing and pulling reports for timely enrollment into first semester courses.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, implement and maintain processes for Freshman Block Enrollment in order to facilitate seamless registration for all first year University students.
- Consult with managers in the Advising, Support and Planning Office, Registrar’s Office, Admissions Office and CITS to facilitate the functionality of Block Enrollment for all new first year University students.
- Manage the placement testing process for all new students.
- Coordinate with Institutional Research, CITS and UITS to develop, implement and ensure accuracy of reports relating to but not limited to placement and enrollment of all new University students.
- Collaborate with CITS on technical issues, compliance with University policies and procedures and comparability with University systems.
- Oversee the data management of New Student and Transfer Orientations.
- Data management of the PeopleSoft “Data Dictionary", an electronic course equivalency system.
- Maintenance for multiple sets of data files for colleges and universities within the UMD transfer credit systems and the planning for new school implementation.
- Maintain and update student transfer credit equivalencies especially regarding the management of the evaluation of '"no rule’’ courses.
- Develop and maintain the Academic Advising and Transfer Student website in order to facilitate access to academic advising resources.
- Proctor placement testing which includes: international, Navitas and orientations.
- Collaborate with CITS and UITS on issues relating to PeopleSoft and student access and improvements.
- Collaborate with department chairs during block enrollment periods ensure accuracy of enrollment.
- Responsible for the data management, statistical analysis, design and maintenance of withdrawal policy and annual report.
- Develop and maintain electronic monitoring system for the tracking of students visiting the Advising, Support and Planning Office to determine patterns in order to assess student needs.
- Manage information and departmental requests for positing to electronic media.
- Maintain the GPA calculator to aid students with predicting their GPA.
- Support the University’s retention initiatives in a technical capacity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated experience (over 3 years) in computer programming and database management.
OTHER: Must be available evening/weekend hours during periods of peak activity as needed. Some travel required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of undergraduate academic programs
- Knowledge of the University academic policies and procedures as well as eligibility requirements
- Knowledge of SQL database systems
- Ability to utilize PeopleSoft systems
- Ability to develop programs and applications utilizing complex sets of academic information.
- Able to relate to students and University personnel
- Able to interpret and develop data network systems
- Strong communication skills
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Previous experience in an institution of higher education.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references .
The deadline for internal applicants is August 29, 2018.
The review by or deadline will begin August 30, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend