GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Manage all aspects of the department stockroom and laboratories, assist students and faculty in projects and research, perform other duties as assigned by the department chair. Provide laboratory support for enterprise and student design projects.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee pre-lab set-up of equipment, supplies and assessment of rooms.
- Manages all aspects of the department stockroom and laboratories.
- Assists students and faculty in projects and research by obtaining parts and equipment; may require some fabrication.
- Reinforce safety procedures and appropriate use of equipment by faculty and students.
- Plans inventory and orders components to meet department requirements and maintains parts and device inventory control as needed on current basis and future needs.
- Handles shipping and receiving for the department which may be received directly or processed through the shipping and receiving department.
- Performs equipment maintenance such as repairs and calibration on such equipment as an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, department computers, etc.
- Supervise the organization, maintenance, and inventory of equipment, parts and supplies, and provides security of equipment and facilities such as the laboratories and stockroom.
- Oversee the moving of equipment from room to room or laboratory on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for being point of contact with property control for departmental assets.
- Other duties as assigned by the department chair.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (REQUIRED):
EDUCATION: Baccalaureate degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or Computer Engineering.
EXPERIENCE: Related experience in the field of electrical or electronic technology.
OTHER: Computer literate. Some mechanical fabrication and assembly.
Available during evening and weekend hours as teaching/project schedules dictate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to perform multiple tasks as assigned.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Ability to fabricate/assemble items.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures.
- Knowledge of inventory methods.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
- A Bachelor of Science degree with appropriate experience is preferred.
- Experience working in a prototype environment.
- Experience working in a higher education electrical and computer engineering laboratory setting with a strong customer service focus.
- Experience working with technicians, engineers and representatives of equipment vendors and manufacturers to obtain equipment, supplies, and support.
- Experience demonstrating procedures to or instructing students is an asset.
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Electrical & Computer Engineering
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: AFT
EEO STATUS: 5.1
JOB CODE: 155
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chairperson, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
SUPERVISES: Teaching Assistants (TAs) and student helpers assigned to courses with a software/hardware laboratory component.
The level of the appointment will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Qualified applicants are invited to submit electronically a cover letter, résumé and contact information for at least three references.
Screening of applications will begin May 28, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
UMass Dartmouth is an AA/EEO employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from members of these and other protected groups.
The University of Massachusetts reserves the right to conduct background checks on potential employees.