Job no: 494181
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Executive Positions
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS DARTMOUTH
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Budget Director
DIVISION: Administrative & Fiscal Services
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Non-Unit
EEO STATUS: 1.4
JOB CODE: 012
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Associate Vice Chancellor for Budget and Financial Services
SUPERVISES: The Budget Director will supervise professional and administrative staff members responsible for overseeing, analyzing and reporting on all of the University’s budget systems.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Budget Director is responsible for developing and providing high-value, integrated budgeting, financial reporting and financial management services across the University. Responsible for providing support to the University community by leading the budget development and budget monitoring phases of the comprehensive planning and budgeting cycle. Provide expertise and input into multi-year forecasting, performance management, and institutional effectiveness. Participate in formulating and determining fiscal policy for UMass Dartmouth. The scope of responsibility will include financial and budget activity of all Divisions and Departments of the University. The Budget Director will have access to and provide input regarding data collection and analysis for all collective bargaining proposals prior to their submission to the unions. As such, the incumbent is a confidential employee as defined in M. G. L. Chapter 150E, Section 1.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide guidance, support and advice to senior management in planning, allocation of resources, and formulation of processes regarding the financial management of the University.
- Recommend strategies that enhance financial reporting and financial management, including increased revenues, cost avoidance, cost savings opportunities and reserve funding for the University.
- Provide oversight and support of the campus operating budget across all funds and accounts, including budget development activities, capital budget, preparation of projections, mid-year forecasts, and multi-year scenarios.
- Conduct research and analysis, identifying and implementing best practices in higher education financial management, financial reporting, and continuous improvement and will effectively communicate recommendations to stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Review spending plans and requests for new funding and rigorously monitor financial performance of business areas throughout the fiscal year.
- Support the development and management of a strategic plan for streamlining business processes and adopting best practices for the campus.
- Provide leadership in the development of policies and procedures for all aspects of the campus budget.
- Provide data, analysis and recommendations pertaining to costs for labor negotiations; analyze and communicate long-term impacts of budget decisions and labor negotiations.
- Develop and oversee the position management system for effective utilization as a budget tool.
- Create a well-defined budget process and oversee the development of the all funds budget documents.
- Provide individual and group training on the PeopleSoft financial system, including its reporting tools.
- Respond to internal and external requests for information and assist & advise administrative offices throughout t campus with interpreting and developing responses to financial requests.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the budget website, and develop useful communications tools.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in business administration, management, finance, accounting or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of the position.
EXPERIENCE: Significant (over 7 years) progressively responsible management experience. Proven management experience in organizing, coordinating and supervising staff. Significant accounting or finance experience. Experience with computerized financial systems, knowledge of GASB, and financial reporting standards.
OTHER: The position requires some local and regional travel. Evening and weekend hours may be required to successfully perform the duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Considerable ability to analyze complex data and exercise sound judgment making decisions without supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to provide clarity and conceptualization around complex financial and policy issues.
- Able to interpret complex data and information.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to collaborate successfully with a diverse community of senior managers and finance professionals
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with University officials, employees, and general public.
- Ability to motivate and lead staff.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively articulate NACUBO and GASB guidelines.
- Familiarity with or ability to acquire familiarity with the rules, regulations, policies and laws governing receipt, expenditure and other management activities of state, federal, endowment and other funds.
- Familiarity with or ability to integrate current technology into accounting and budget management processes.
- Management experience in an institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of People Soft; Future Perfect or other budget software.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin April 20,2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend