Upward Bound Teachers - Math & Science (Grant Funded)
Job no: 494052
Work type: Staff Part Time, Hourly
Categories: Seasonal - All Other
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To provide instruction in a six week summer residential program to students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds and seek to promote the total growth of the student as a primary objective.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and teach high school level curriculum in appropriate subject matter.
- Plan and Develop pre and post testing in your specialized field
- Provide tutorial assistance to students.
- Document and Prepare written reports on student’s progress.
- Enforce all Upward Bound rules and regulations.
- Assist in supervision at program events and activities.
- Assist the director with other functions as required for program effectiveness.
- Participate in teacher orientation prior before summer program
- Attend weekly 1 hour staff meetings
- Complete a final evaluation for each student.
- Other program related duties, as assigned by the Director.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in respective discipline.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of successful teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
OTHER: Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of low income students and disadvantaged youth. Position starts on
June 25, 2018 – July 27, 2018. Teaching responsibilities consist of teaching 4 days a week and up to 4
subjects in respective discipline.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to develop and teach high school level classes in respective discipline.
- Ability to tutor students.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Proven ability to effectively manage a classroom of “at risk” students.
- Demonstrated strong academic preparation for relevant field of instruction.
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts Core Standards preferred, or a willingness to be acquainted with standards.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Familiarity dealing with students of diverse, non-traditional backgrounds.
- Massachusetts Teacher Certification
- Teaching experience, preferably with urban youth and those with disparate learning needs.
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Teacher - Science and Math
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: Depending on experience $15- $25.00/Hr
GRANT FUNDED: x
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Upward Bound and Program Coordinator
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit online a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend