SUMMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To manage residential operations in a dormitory of 74 Upward Bound students and direct a staff of 8-10 in the provision of tutoring and student activities.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Direct and supervise residential staff in delivery of services to students.
2. Responsible for the orderly maintenance of resident housing lists.
3. Issue room assignments in accordance with instruction of the Program Coordinator.
4. Disperse and collect room keys as appropriate.
5. Report maintenance and custodial needs to appropriate university offices.
6. Serve as program’s liaison to University Housing Office.
7. Monitor and enforce student compliance with program rules related to residence quarters.
8. Supervise the assignment of tutorials
9. Plan and coordinate cross-curricular and recreational programming.
10. Coordinate staff development activities, weekly staff meetings, and student assemblies.
11. Plan and supervise day and night duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator and Director.
12. On call for students needs during residential stay.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferred or college student senior or higher currently enrolled with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
EXPERIENCE: One year successful experience working with disadvantaged High school students. Experience in programming and developing activities for students Two years college campus residential living experience as student or staff.
OTHER: Demonstrated sensitivity to low income students and ethnically and racially diverse student populations. On campus residence required during the Summer Program starting June 13, 2018 – August 3, 2018.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to create and maintain orderly housing records.
- Demonstrated residential administration skill.
- Knowledge of issues related to interpersonal dynamics in a dormitory of secondary school students.
- Ability to effectively organize and coordinate student activities.
- Ability to promote, among students, an appreciation for academic excellence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Knowledge of the rules of major sports.
- Ability to represent a positive role model for students.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
- Previous residential experience as a staff member.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience managing staff, and building a positive team-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in using positive approaches to behavioral management with high school aged students preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of best practices for mentoring and tutoring preferred.
- Experience engaging with urban high school aged youth preferred.
NOTE: Other job-related duties and responsibilities may be assigned and/or the job description changed periodically to reflect changing organization needs.
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Residential Supervisor
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Upward Bound
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS/SALARY: Temporary, non-benefited
SALARY: $468.75 per week plus free room and board
GRANT FUNDED: X
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director and Program Coordinator
SUPERVISES: Assistant Residential Supervisor, Tutor Mentors
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit online a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.