DIVISION: Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Housing & Residential Education
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU. Cat. 13
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
EEO STATUS: 3.1 JOB CODE: 023
ESU Categories: http://www.umassd.edu/hr/policiesandlaws/unioncontracts/
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Housing and Administrative Services
SUPERVISES: Clerical staff and student workers
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Assistant Director Housing and Administrative Services, the Occupancy Manager manages all aspects of the housing assignment process for Housing and Residential Education. Duties include management of current residential assignment software and database administration , on campus housing marketing, housing contract administration, room assignments for new and returning students, student billing, and statistical reporting functions for both Housing and the University at large. The Occupancy Manager serves as the primary liaison to CITS/UITS regarding residential software vendors and PeopleSoft administration related to housing assignments.
Follow the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the assignments of residence hall students to designated hall spaces; enforces and monitors compliance with residence hall contracts; facilitates on-campus assignments of graduate students; and responds to housing issues and problems.
- Updates and compiles room assignments regularly; and maintains records of resident moves from one space to another within the residential management system.
- Performs various system upgrades, software updates, and system administration including the implementation of design code and computing utilities and scripts for our residential software modules (i.e., assignments, judicial, room change)
- Coordinates and provides oversight for all interface between residential software and PeopleSoft.
- Coordinate and collaborates to provide building access via security system application for resident students, student employees, permanent and temporary professional staff
- Maintains appropriate liaison relationships with on-campus agents and offices such as Residential Education Staff, CITS/UITS, Campus Services, Student Conduct & Dispute Resolution, Registrar, Admissions, Bursars, Continuing Education, Student Affairs, and Financial Aid.
- Works directly with the Housing Administrative Assistant II to develop systems and processes that facilitate room assignments, updates, refund requests, room change requests, and residence hall security access.
- Prepares standard statistical and operational reports and ad hoc reports to meet departmental and external reporting needs.
- Serves as a member of the Housing Assignment Management Team and is responsible for overseeing, developing, reviewing, and modifying departmental/office goals, policies, and priorities designed to enhance services for students, housing assignment practices, and staff effectiveness.
- Interprets housing policy and room assignment process to students, parents, staff, and other University personnel as appropriate.
- Provides training and develops end user technical documentation for Housing and Residential Education staff related to the residential management software application and various modules.
- Creates residential management system access and security for new users and modifies access for existing users.
- Understands and contributes to the implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a multi-cultural environment.
- Collaborates with Housing and Residential Education staff to create, implement and publicize policies and procedures for Room Selection and New Student Assignments.
- Assists with management of ADA process for on campus housing. Must work closely with the following centers: Access and Success, Counseling and Student Development, Health Services.
- Creates a marketing program to promote the benefits of living on campus; this may include events, website, and student portal (myUMassD) content.
- Plans for the demand for on-campus housing by assessing and analyzing new and returning student demand compared to availability of bed spaces.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Admissions, College Now, Pathways, Impulse, International Student Services, Honors, Graduate Admissions, College administrators, and other key stakeholders for residential community space utilization.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Housing and Administrative Services in all efforts to automate the room selection and room assignment process for optimal business efficiency and student satisfaction.
- Receives and then provides updated residential assignments software training, and is proficient in implementing the full range of system features.
- Oversees the maintenance of Housing Assignment related records, files, and archives in accordance with Housing, University and state policies and procedures.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree.
EXPERIENCE: Previous experience with housing and/or room assignments in an institution of higher education.
Experience with billing processes in a collegiate housing office.
OTHER: Must be available to respond to situations that arise during holidays, weekends and evenings.
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to communicate effectively with all members of the University community and constituents.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Mediation skills.
- Knowledge of issues relevant to college level students.
- Organizational ability.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated computer skills with software such as Microsoft Office Suite, housing assignments applications and databases.
- Experience working in room assignments at an institution of higher learning
- Experience working with Housing database and reporting systems
- Experience working in a multicultural university environment.
- Experience working in an environment covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
To apply please submit online a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for professional references.
The deadline for INTERNALS applicants is December 5, 2017.
The review of applications will begin December 11, 2017 and continue until the positi