General Summary of Position: Performs various manual labor tasks in support of the work of skilled tradesmen and craftsmen; dig and back-fill excavations and level earth to grade; shore excavations; set and repair curbing; install and repair signs, maintain grounds by pruning trees and shrubs, seeding lawns, etc.; perform snow removal and ice control duties; and perform related work as required. Performs various manual tasks requiring some specialized skill and the use of hand tools in general construction and maintenance activities.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction): Works under the direct supervision of a maintenance foreman working, who makes daily inspections of work performance to check for compliance with departmental standards, efficiency and for conformance with instructions.
DIRECT REPORTING STAFF-N/A May exercise functional supervision(i.e. over certain but not all work activities on a temporary basis) over 1-6 maintenance personnel.
THEIR STAFF- N/A
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs routine manual labor in connection with maintenance and beautification of State buildings and grounds, such as cutting grass, weeds, brush; cleaning culverts, catch basins, drains, and ditches; loading or unloading trucks; spreading sand and gravel, repairing asphalt and concrete surfaces, repairing curbstones, digging ditches and post holes, setting or removing posts, repairing fences and stone walls, erecting and maintaining signs, seeding and fertilizing lawn areas.
- Trims, waters and fertilizes trees, shrubs and ornamental plantings.
- Assists in planting flowers and other ornamental plantings.
- Sweeps sidewalks and other paved surfaces, rakes lawns, collects and disposes of rubbish found on a State campus.
- Erects and dismantles snow fences, shovels snow, sands roads and sidewalks and keeps all paved surfaces free of snow and ice.
- Moves furniture and other office equipment from one location to another.
- Performs manual labor as assigned in assisting skilled tradesmen such as motor equipment repair foreman, carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers and steamfitters, and masons engaged in maintenance repair and construction work.
- Operates the following mechanical equipment, all of which is required in the maintenance of a State University campus: farm and construction tractors with front end loader, flail mower, gang mower and snow plow as interchangeable accessories; riding lawn mowers, self-propelled lawn mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, electric trimmers, light automotive trucks with or without snowplows or road sanders attached, compressors and cement mixers.
- Performs routine manual labor in connection with the maintenance and use of athletic fields such as assisting in the layout and marking of baseball, football, soccer, field hockey, softball fields, setting of goal posts and nets, setting up bleachers; mowing, trimming, seeding, fertilizing and watering of lawn areas.
- Assists the motor equipment repair foreman in making repairs to their assigned mechanical or motorized equipment when there is a mechanical breakdown. Cleans and greases their assigned mechanical or motorized equipment on a weekly basis.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must have at least six months of full-time or equivalent part-time, experience in performing manual labor in connection with general construction or maintenance work. Massachusetts State Classification Specifications found at http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp#C.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Skill in using small hand tools such as pliers, hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.
- Skill in using hand-held power tools such as drills, chain saws, etc.
- Skill in using a variety of motorized equipment such as snow blowers, lawnmowers, forklifts, dollies, etc.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Manual dexterity.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
- Ability to lead a group of workers.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of the procedures, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
- Ability to use common hand tools.
- Ability to operate light automotive trucks, farm and construction tractors, electric and gas driven trimmers, snow blowers, self-propelled and riding lawn mowers and similar maintenance and construction equipment.
Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods under varying climatic conditions. Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class 3 or higher Motor Vehicle Operator’s License may be required.
- Climbing Stairs-Occasional
- Near Vision-Frequent
- Far Vision-Frequent
- Lifting/Carrying (30 lbs.)-Frequent
Frequency Key (hours per day): Never = 0; Rare = up to 1 hour; Occasional = 1 to 3 hours; Frequent = 3 to 6 hours; Constant = 6 to 7 ½ hours.
Department: Skilled Laborer
No. of Positions-1
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Union: AFT Maintainers
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is May 23, 2018.
The deadline for EXTERNAL applicants is May 31, 2018.